POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JPEG2000 : Re: JPEG2000 Server Time
3 Aug 2024 22:16:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPEG2000
From: Ross Litscher
Date: 11 Mar 2004 18:15:18
Message: <4050f306@news.povray.org>
"IMBJR" <no### [at] spamhere> wrote in message
> On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:02:12 -0000, "scott" <sco### [at] spamcom> wrote:

> >This J2K case is a perfect example.  Do I bother to download extra
software
> >and have to spend extra time converting each image to view it on my
> >computer, risk the software doing something nasty to my machine, and the
> >massive risk that most people won't be able to see my images?  Ok, so J2K
is
> >a better format technically, but I'm not going to use it until it is the
> >"norm".
>
> LOL
>
> Such a good example of technophobia.

After just reading this entire thread of 190+ messages, I hesitate to get
involved in this nonsense. Alas, i dive in...

I don't consider waiting until something it robust, and easily usable a
technophobe. If that were the case, I would be a technophobe for not keeping
my linux kernel up to date with the latest experimental patch. It's an "ease
of use", "out of sight, out of mind" thing, not a fear of new technologies.

IBBJR, I do have a question for you that came up in reading the large number
of posts in this thread. If you are only concerned for the image quality of
your art to be maintained, not really interested in comments about it, and
don't care if anyone really sees it (but hope that some people will look at
it?), and are concerned for bandwidth, why not post to
povray.binaries.scene-files or povray.text.scene-files? that way, people can
render your work in the full glory of uncompressed 16 bit images at whatever
resolution they want. Additionally, consider you have just text files as
povray source (i.e., no image maps or other non-text data). A 180kb text
file could theoretically compress down well below the size of a compressed
image file, thus saving you the time it takes to upload files to the news
server. Uploading seems to be your primary concern, because you never wanted
to force others to post in jpg2000, you just wanted to be allowed to do so.
Is the assumption of uploading being your concern true? It does however put
the burden of viewing the image on the shoulders of the other person, but in
this case, they already have the software (povray) to do so.

by the way, and neither here nor there, i wholey disagree with you on your
arguments that news.povray.org is part of Usenet. i just had to mention it
because it was particularly bugging me. along with your argument that the
Internet came into existence the first time people connected two computers
together. "internets" and the "Internet" are networks, but not all networks
(for example, the first two computers ever connected) are internets. i would
only consider a network to be an internet or part of an internet if it in
some way used the IP stack. Usenet is a system of sharing nntp feeds between
servers. While news.povray.org runs on nntp, it is not a part of the system
that shares feeds. not a part of the Usenet system.

that being said, i need to get home before the laundromat closes and i can'
t do my laundry goodnight. happy tracing,
ross