POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New POV-Ray webpage Server Time
6 Aug 2024 08:15:48 EDT (-0400)
  New POV-Ray webpage (Message 31 to 40 of 147)
From: Lutz-Peter Hooge
Subject: Re: New POV-Ray webpage
Date: 9 Jul 2002 19:23:22
Message: <MPG.17958f4083d16fe398970e@news.povray.org>
In article <3d2b69c0@news.povray.org>, war### [at] tagpovrayorg says...
>   It's not www.povray.org which is broken - it's Netscape 4.x which is.
> Complain to Netscape.

It is. Just ask validator.w3.org.
Some improper nesting, missing required atteributes and attributes were
they aren't allowed.

I don't think this is the cause of Netscapes problem though.

Lutz-Peter

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 10 Jul 2002 04:11:38
Message: <3d2bec3a$1@news.povray.org>
In article <MPG.17958f4083d16fe398970e@news.povray.org> , Lutz-Peter Hooge
<lpv### [at] gmxde>  wrote:

> It is. Just ask validator.w3.org.
> Some improper nesting, missing required atteributes and attributes were
> they aren't allowed.

Not a big surprise when one has to support every browser out there.  If the
choice is between either using compliant HTML on a site or have it work with
all browsers such that it is readable and usable, the choice is obvious.  A
site publisher has no business forcing its users to use certain browsers and
it should always give the best possible result for all users and their
browsers...

This is especially the case with the really stupid placement of the form
tags, but Netscape 4.x insists on adding blank lines if it is elsewhere,
which would result in a not acceptable rendering of the page under Netscape
4.x on all platforms.  All the table errors that get reported after that are
simply caused by the form tag position required for Netscape :-(

In summary, the current page HTML is the most compliant possible if one
wants to support more than just IE 5.2 on Mac OS X (which is more compliant
to XHTML/CSS2 support than IE 6 on Windows, not even to mention Gecko based
browsers).

I suppose nearly everybody here would object if IE 5.2 on Mac OS X would be
required to view the site just for the sake of having a site that is fully
XHTML and CSS 2 compliant ;-)

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde