POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : cube mapping and sphere mapping Server Time
4 Aug 2024 02:18:47 EDT (-0400)
  cube mapping and sphere mapping (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Texel
Subject: cube mapping and sphere mapping
Date: 27 Aug 2003 12:50:01
Message: <web.3f4ce0c26d4b73a046afc4e40@news.povray.org>
Is it possible to use cube mapping or sphere mapping with povray?

I do not have found it in the documentation.
I have only found real reflection.

Thanks.

Post a reply to this message

From: Andrew
Subject: Re: cube mapping and sphere mapping
Date: 27 Aug 2003 13:15:02
Message: <3f4ce716$1@news.povray.org>
If I understand you correctly you're asking about environment mapping.

If so then you can get this kind of effect by using a sphere (or cube)
with the no_image and no_shadow tags surrounding your reflective object.
This means that it only shows up in reflections, so is visible reflected
from your object, but is not rendered otherwise.

Obviously this will begin to fail if your object is visible in a mirror
anywhere - the surrounding mapped sphere will show up instead.

See http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/27156/

"Texel" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
> Is it possible to use cube mapping or sphere mapping with povray?
>
> I do not have found it in the documentation.
> I have only found real reflection.
>
> Thanks.

Post a reply to this message