POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Distributed render Server Time
3 Aug 2024 06:13:34 EDT (-0400)
  Distributed render (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: Chambers
Subject: Re: Distributed render
Date: 11 Jun 2004 11:50:00
Message: <web.40c9d39bc736fa1aca11893c0@news.povray.org>
"Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <spa### [at] raf256com> wrote:
> abx### [at] abxartpl news:ek6jc0pqg1313gv43dqo485du7mag1h7re@4ax.com
>
> > With the risk of repeating it again, are you aware of how many objects
> > are hit in radiosity scenes for each pixel with every intersection? Do
> > you know memory behind it?
>
> Who said that each ray should have full history of with objects is he
> depending on (with object do this ray or its children etc. hit ;) ?

You would need it, in order to know which pixels to re-render.

> Its another way around, YOu have one object i.e. 27-th isosurface in scene,
> YOu store its pointer globaly, and each ray only have a boolean information
> did he hit it - YES or NO

Oo... Global Variables = Bad (sorry, couldn't resist) :)

Anyway, this way would actually use more memory - you would have an array of
(image_width * image_height) of booleans *PER* *OBJECT*.  A list of rays
which hit would be better, but would probably be equivalent to each ray
having a list of object which affect it.

In fact, something like this could probably be implemented for tiles,
instead of single rays, but it would only be useful for interactive
modeling.  The way POV-Ray currently works would not support it.

....Chambers

Post a reply to this message