POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : About PovRay 4 Server Time
4 Aug 2024 00:28:10 EDT (-0400)
  About PovRay 4 (Message 13 to 22 of 42)
From: Apache
Subject: Re: About PovRay 4
Date: 16 Dec 2003 21:46:46
Message: <3fdfc396$1@news.povray.org>
Depends on the timescale

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Date: 16 Dec 2003 22:31:55
Message: <3FDFCE83.1BA8C37D@pacbell.net>
Jim Charter wrote:

> Once a post on these groups mentioned the number of downloads POV gets
> per month.  It was a very impressive figure.  Would there be any harm in
> advertising it on the homepage?

Collecting and compiling the data takes time and there are other things more
pressing right now. However...

If I am reading the www server stats correctly, the Windows version had around
16,933 downloads in the month of November alone. This doesn't take into account
the number of people who downloaded it more than once, had a dropped carrier and
had to start over, or people who intentionally or accidentally clicked the link
and decided not to finish the download for what ever reason. That is simply the
number of hits on the download link. Getting accurate individual download numbers
is intrinsically problematic and in no way fool proof.

--
Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message