POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : About PovRay 4 : Re: About PovRay 4 Server Time
3 Aug 2024 22:16:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: About PovRay 4
From: Dave Matthews
Date: 17 Dec 2003 09:05:01
Message: <web.3fe061f03dc78f6d8062416c0@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter wrote:
>It suggests to me that there is a
>whole range of ways POV is being used that I can't even imagine.

This is what always impresses me about POVRay and its versatility.  I use it
jsut about every day in "orthographic" mode as a 2D graphing calculator in
my classrooms (thanks to Freidrich Lohmueller for this idea!); of course,
it is invaluable when teaching vector calculus.  And I've hardly begun to
scratch the surface of the mathematical teaching applications, much less
those in research and visualization (witness what Paul Bourke, among
others, does.)  And that's just math. . . . And that's just educational
uses. . . .

POVRay 4 -- my goodness!  Hold your horses! (as we say in Midwest US.)  I'm
still struggling with 3.5.  It reminds me of when I was a student at the
University of Nebraska, and people complained about the lack of funding for
a new library (while the sports teams spent -- and generated -- their
millions.)  I used to reply, "So I guess this means that you've finished
reading all the books in the old one, huh."

When it comes out, I'll be overwhelmed by it; in the meantime, I'll just
continue to be overwhelmed by 3.5.

Dave Matthews