POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : convert isosurfaces to mesh Server Time
4 Aug 2024 02:22:07 EDT (-0400)
  convert isosurfaces to mesh (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: JC (Exether)
Subject: convert isosurfaces to mesh
Date: 9 Sep 2003 13:44:02
Message: <3f5e1162$1@news.povray.org>
I've been looking around and couldn't find any tool to 'convert' an
isosurface to a mesh. Does anyone have this kind of tool (preferably
povray script) handy ? Otherwise I'll have to write it myself, but I
suspect it will take some time, so if I can avoid it ...  :-)

Tx,

JC

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 19:44:08 +0200, "JC (Exether)" <no### [at] spamfr> wrote:
> I've been looking around and couldn't find any tool to 'convert' an
> isosurface to a mesh. Does anyone have this kind of tool (preferably
> povray script) handy ? Otherwise I'll have to write it myself, but I
> suspect it will take some time, so if I can avoid it ...  :-)

http://news.povray.org/search/?s=tessel

Perhaps some of http://members.home.nl/seedseven/#MMMM could be useful too.

ABX

Post a reply to this message

> I've been looking around and couldn't find any tool to 'convert' an
> isosurface to a mesh. Does anyone have this kind of tool (preferably
> povray script) handy ? Otherwise I'll have to write it myself, but I
> suspect it will take some time, so if I can avoid it ...  :-)

The difficulty with isosurfaces is that they are functions and don't
necessarily present an actual contiguous surface.  A tessellation routine
that can handle any isosurface function would be very difficult, next to
impossible.

Post a reply to this message

> I've been looking around and couldn't find any tool to 'convert' an
> isosurface to a mesh. Does anyone have this kind of tool (preferably
> povray script) handy ? Otherwise I'll have to write it myself, but I
> suspect it will take some time, so if I can avoid it ...  :-)

There is the tesselation patch:

http://jgrimbert.free.fr/pov/patch/tessel/index.html

which also works for isosurfaces and there were various macros for this
posted over the time.

None the less you will find that all these methods are slow (esp. as
script) and don't really convert the isosurface - they just create a
rough approximation.

-- Christoph

Post a reply to this message

> The difficulty with isosurfaces is that they are functions and don't
> necessarily present an actual contiguous surface.  A tessellation routine
> that can handle any isosurface function would be very difficult, next to
> impossible.

  Actually tesselating a contiguous and derivable (read: smooth) isosurface
(which most are) is perfectly possible and not even too difficult. An
algorithm like the marching triangles is perfectly suitable.