POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : convert isosurfaces to mesh : Re: convert isosurfaces to mesh Server Time
4 Aug 2024 00:20:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: convert isosurfaces to mesh
From: Hugo Asm
Date: 10 Sep 2003 10:07:20
Message: <3f5f3018@news.povray.org>
> I've looked at Kevin Loney's approximation macro...
> Note that for many isosurfaces it is faster to render
> the isosurface than it is to use the approximation.

Considering the time to postprocess the data from Kevin Loney's macro,
perhaps it's faster to run an isosurface render. But I've found his macro to
be really useful. But you need to save the data. Possibly (as I did) in .OBJ
file format and run it through triangle decimation algoritm (that's always
neat). Then export back to mesh2 and the result will surely render faster
than any isosurface. It will, however, still use at least 10 times more
memory of course.

Regards,
Hugo