POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Clouds? (Yeah, media...) but how here? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 13:23:15 EDT (-0400)
  Clouds? (Yeah, media...) but how here? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Martin Crisp
Subject: Clouds? (Yeah, media...) but how here?
Date: 19 Jul 1999 07:37:14
Message: <B3B94B38-263F3@147.109.83.2>
Hi,

hopefully about now there's an image in p.b.i  - looks OK from here pity
the *^&king newsreader decided it had to be header then file...- same
subject line as this article.

(yeah, thanks I know it needs work :-) It's as much to teach myself as it
is to try and get something worth looking at. Gotta fix the water, add some
interest to the slopes...add a general atmosphere, get a better equation
for the mountains.... it's darker on the PC because I haven't set gamma for
you guys...).

Anyway, the scene is made from a mesh using math.inc (equation prototyped
in the "Graphing Calculator" included with MacOS). What I want to be able
to do is put a thin layer of cloud at about the same height as the mountain
peaks (media in the intesection of 2 planes - yes? Some peaks showing
through) but I'd like the clouds to cling near the mountain tops and leave
the space over the valleys mainly empty (I'll add a separate media to cover
those areas)...

Since I can generate a pattern based on the original equation, can I
somehow use that to define a density function for media?
(i.e. if there's mountain at this height (3/4 of the way up), use the
pattern at this other height (1/2 to 2/3) to define the approximate shape
of the cloud at the peak height (8/9 height)).

[if the math is reasonably complex (sorry) don't go into extreme detail,
just point me at what I need to read up on]

TIA for any thoughts/comments

Have Fun
Martin
--
Owner/Operator - Tesseract Computing
<hypercube 'at' tesseract.com.au> or just reply.

Computer Systems Officer - Tourism Tasmania
<Martin.Crisp 'at' tourism.tas.gov.au>

I speak for me.

Post a reply to this message