POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Verbose warnings Server Time: 30 Mar 2020 14:30:20 GMT
  Verbose warnings (Message 1 to 10 of 10)  
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Verbose warnings
Date: 26 Feb 2020 14:07:41
Message: <5e567bad$1@news.povray.org>
By default when there is a warning it does not list the line number and 
file that is triggering the warning. Can something like this be enabled?

Mike


Post a reply to this message

From: Alain Martel
Subject: Re: Verbose warnings
Date: 26 Feb 2020 17:46:04
Message: <5e56aedc$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2020-02-26 à 09:07, Mike Horvath a écrit :
> By default when there is a warning it does not list the line number and 
> file that is triggering the warning. Can something like this be enabled?
> 
> Mike

Don't now for the line number, but given that most warnings are user 
coded, you can include the file's name in the provided text.


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Verbose warnings
Date: 27 Feb 2020 07:29:57
Message: <5e576ff5$1@news.povray.org>
Op 26/02/2020 om 15:07 schreef Mike Horvath:
> By default when there is a warning it does not list the line number and 
> file that is triggering the warning. Can something like this be enabled?
> 
> Mike

My experience is that, where possible, POV-Ray shows file name and line 
number as a warning, e.g. when there is a mis-quote in a name used in an 
included file. However, this is not systematic unfortunately and, if I 
remember correctly the teachings of Clipka when he was still wandering 
among us, this is due to the fact that a warning is not always so 
specifically pointed to one single origin but may be diffused over 
several areas of the program.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: Verbose warnings
Date: 27 Feb 2020 09:46:23
Message: <5e578fef$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/27/2020 2:29 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> Op 26/02/2020 om 15:07 schreef Mike Horvath:
>> By default when there is a warning it does not list the line number 
>> and file that is triggering the warning. Can something like this be 
>> enabled?
>>
>> Mike
> 
> My experience is that, where possible, POV-Ray shows file name and line 
> number as a warning, e.g. when there is a mis-quote in a name used in an 
> included file. However, this is not systematic unfortunately and, if I 
> remember correctly the teachings of Clipka when he was still wandering 
> among us, this is due to the fact that a warning is not always so 
> specifically pointed to one single origin but may be diffused over 
> several areas of the program.
> 

I meant parse warnings, sorry.

"Parse Warning: Should have at least 2 objects in csg."

"Parse Warning: Index of refraction value should be specified in 
'interior{...}' statement.   Use of this syntax may not be backwards 
compatable with earlier versions of POV-Ray.   The #version directive or 
+MV switch will not
help."


Etc.


Mike


Post a reply to this message

From: Alain Martel
Subject: Re: Verbose warnings
Date: 27 Feb 2020 18:15:37
Message: <5e580749$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2020-02-27 à 04:46, Mike Horvath a écrit :
> On 2/27/2020 2:29 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>> Op 26/02/2020 om 15:07 schreef Mike Horvath:
>>> By default when there is a warning it does not list the line number 
>>> and file that is triggering the warning. Can something like this be 
>>> enabled?
>>>
>>> Mike
>>
>> My experience is that, where possible, POV-Ray shows file name and 
>> line number as a warning, e.g. when there is a mis-quote in a name 
>> used in an included file. However, this is not systematic 
>> unfortunately and, if I remember correctly the teachings of Clipka 
>> when he was still wandering among us, this is due to the fact that a 
>> warning is not always so specifically pointed to one single origin but 
>> may be diffused over several areas of the program.
>>
> 
> I meant parse warnings, sorry.
> 
> "Parse Warning: Should have at least 2 objects in csg."

Every times I get that warning, the source file and line number are 
present. Normally, the line number reported is that of the closing 
bracket of the CSG or the next one.

> 
> "Parse Warning: Index of refraction value should be specified in 
> 'interior{...}' statement.   Use of this syntax may not be backwards 
> compatable with earlier versions of POV-Ray.   The #version directive or 
> +MV switch will not

That one also normally report the source file and line number.

> help."
> 
> 
> Etc.
> 
> 
> Mike

If the warning is generated for something within a macro, then, the 
source may not be the source file but the invocation of the macro file 
and line number.

And, yes, there are cases when the reported line number is the very last 
of the scene been rendered.


Post a reply to this message

From: Dick Balaska
Subject: Re: Verbose warnings
Date: 28 Feb 2020 06:29:33
Message: <5e58b34d$1@news.povray.org>
Am 2/27/20 1:15 PM, also sprach Alain Martel:
> Le 2020-02-27 à 04:46, Mike Horvath a écrit :

>>
>> "Parse Warning: Should have at least 2 objects in csg."
> 
> Every times I get that warning, the source file and line number are 
> present. Normally, the line number reported is that of the closing 
> bracket of the CSG or the next one.
> 

I get this all the time without indication of *where*.

I also notice there is some inconsistency about which stream different 
errors go to.  Like "Unnecessary bounding" goes to the progress/render 
stream, why? (I see this in the progress bar where I'm normally only 
expecting "Rendered 1024 of 2048 pixels" messages)

It would be nice if there was some
#pragma error disable Text

to turn off the multitude of Text errors I get now. (And how can it be 
an error when it renders exactly how I want. That should be a warning.)
Same with the unnecessary bounding warnings.  I use TOM-TREEs.  They're 
old, they work, I'm not going to fix them.  I don't want the 1000 
warnings per tree.

-- 
dik
Rendered 49,882,521,600 of 49,882,521,600 pixels (100%)


Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: Verbose warnings
Date: 1 Mar 2020 02:56:26
Message: <5e5b245a$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/27/2020 1:15 PM, Alain Martel wrote:
>> I meant parse warnings, sorry.
>>
>> "Parse Warning: Should have at least 2 objects in csg."
> 
> Every times I get that warning, the source file and line number are 
> present. Normally, the line number reported is that of the closing 
> bracket of the CSG or the next one.
> 

What version of POV-Ray are you running? I get no line number or file name.


MIchael


Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Subject: Re: Verbose warnings
Date: 1 Mar 2020 11:05:01
Message: <web.5e5b969216d139b451952ca0@news.povray.org>
hi,

Mike Horvath <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> On 2/27/2020 1:15 PM, Alain Martel wrote:
> >> I meant parse warnings, sorry.
> >>
> >> "Parse Warning: Should have at least 2 objects in csg."
> >
> > Every times I get that warning, the source file and line number are
> > present. Normally, the line number reported is that of the closing
> > bracket of the CSG or the next one.
>
> What version of POV-Ray are you running? I get no line number or file name.

here too (GNU Linux box), the message is prefixed with name and line number, for
"unofficial" versions 3.7.0.8 and latest 3.8 alpha.


regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

From: Alain Martel
Subject: Re: Verbose warnings
Date: 1 Mar 2020 18:43:37
Message: <5e5c0259$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2020-02-29 à 21:56, Mike Horvath a écrit :
> On 2/27/2020 1:15 PM, Alain Martel wrote:
>>> I meant parse warnings, sorry.
>>>
>>> "Parse Warning: Should have at least 2 objects in csg."
>>
>> Every times I get that warning, the source file and line number are 
>> present. Normally, the line number reported is that of the closing 
>> bracket of the CSG or the next one.
>>
> 
> What version of POV-Ray are you running? I get no line number or file name.
> 
> 
> MIchael

Both versions 3.6, 3.7 and 3.8 for Windows 7 and 10, I always get the 
source file and line number for those warnings.


Alain


Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: Verbose warnings
Date: 2 Mar 2020 07:20:45
Message: <5e5cb3cd$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/1/2020 1:43 PM, Alain Martel wrote:
>> What version of POV-Ray are you running? I get no line number or file 
>> name.
>>
>>
>> MIchael
> 
> Both versions 3.6, 3.7 and 3.8 for Windows 7 and 10, I always get the 
> source file and line number for those warnings.
> 
> 
> Alain


I attached a small screenshot. Could you show me where the file name and 
line numbers are?


Michael


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'untitled.png' (25 KB)

Preview of image 'untitled.png'
untitled.png


 

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.