POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : QUESTION: Ho-Res Martian 3D Surface Files: Where? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 15:39:21 EDT (-0400)
  QUESTION: Ho-Res Martian 3D Surface Files: Where? (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Sven Littkowski
Subject: QUESTION: Ho-Res Martian 3D Surface Files: Where?
Date: 27 Aug 2017 13:23:38
Message: <59a3001a$1@news.povray.org>
Hi,

as many know, i want to work on a number of Martian renders. I
downloaded from the NASA 3D Resources website a number of Martian 3D
surface files, but sadly, they all are in a very low resolution, lots of
triangles and corners.

At the same time, I am seeing on the Internet some renders that show
some very impressively detailed martian landscapes, among them my Valles
Marineris. But these renders were done long time ago, around 2004.

Does anyone here know, where to get POV-Ray usable hi-res Mars 3D
surface files? I do not have the ability to convert Hi-Rise images.

---
http://www.avg.com

Post a reply to this message

On 27-8-2017 19:23, Sven Littkowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as many know, i want to work on a number of Martian renders. I
> downloaded from the NASA 3D Resources website a number of Martian 3D
> surface files, but sadly, they all are in a very low resolution, lots of
> triangles and corners.
>
> At the same time, I am seeing on the Internet some renders that show
> some very impressively detailed martian landscapes, among them my Valles
> Marineris. But these renders were done long time ago, around 2004.
>
> Does anyone here know, where to get POV-Ray usable hi-res Mars 3D
> surface files? I do not have the ability to convert Hi-Rise images.

I suppose these lower res meshes are posted by NASA in order to reduce
the 'weight' of the files.

What you can do with your own meshes is to subdivide them in Poseray.
However, you may be in trouble rapidly as the file becomes too large for
OpenGL to redraw the mesh, I found out. I don't know if the subdivided
mesh can still be saved (I didn't try). Somebody with a better suggestion?

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

On 28/08/2017 07:56, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 27-8-2017 19:23, Sven Littkowski wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> as many know, i want to work on a number of Martian renders. I
>> downloaded from the NASA 3D Resources website a number of Martian 3D
>> surface files, but sadly, they all are in a very low resolution, lots of
>> triangles and corners.
>>
>> At the same time, I am seeing on the Internet some renders that show
>> some very impressively detailed martian landscapes, among them my Valles
>> Marineris. But these renders were done long time ago, around 2004.
>>
>> Does anyone here know, where to get POV-Ray usable hi-res Mars 3D
>> surface files? I do not have the ability to convert Hi-Rise images.
>>

> I suppose these lower res meshes are posted by NASA in order to reduce
> the 'weight' of the files.

I think it is the other way round. The High Res meshes are made
available as a courtesy. You can't expect NASA to give it a high
priority when no one in their right mind would try to build a planet in
High Res. What would the memory requirements be anyway?

> What you can do with your own meshes is to subdivide them in Poseray.
> However, you may be in trouble rapidly as the file becomes too large for
> OpenGL to redraw the mesh, I found out. I don't know if the subdivided
> mesh can still be saved (I didn't try). Somebody with a better suggestion?

No more than two subdivisions, I would say. Can PoseRay displace faces
along their normal? (I don't have it installed atm.)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> On 28/08/2017 07:56, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>> On 27-8-2017 19:23, Sven Littkowski wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> as many know, i want to work on a number of Martian renders. I
>>> downloaded from the NASA 3D Resources website a number of Martian 3D
>>> surface files, but sadly, they all are in a very low resolution, lots of
>>> triangles and corners.
>>>
>>> At the same time, I am seeing on the Internet some renders that show
>>> some very impressively detailed martian landscapes, among them my Valles
>>> Marineris. But these renders were done long time ago, around 2004.
>>>
>>> Does anyone here know, where to get POV-Ray usable hi-res Mars 3D
>>> surface files? I do not have the ability to convert Hi-Rise images.
>>>

>> I suppose these lower res meshes are posted by NASA in order to reduce
>> the 'weight' of the files.
>>

> I think it is the other way round. The High Res meshes are made
> available as a courtesy. You can't expect NASA to give it a high
> priority when no one in their right mind would try to build a planet in
> High Res. What would the memory requirements be anyway?

I am lost now. The Nasa meshes we downloaded from NASA (like Valles
Marineris) are they considered hi- or lo-res? Additionally, I think that
mesh landscapes always show a resolution problem; so do height_fields
too of course, and both when used for a close, detailed, view. I don't
think there really is a solution for that, except using the
mesh/heightfield for background or mid-range view, and a separate,
local, one for a detailed foreground. That is what I do in those cases.

>> What you can do with your own meshes is to subdivide them in Poseray.
>> However, you may be in trouble rapidly as the file becomes too large
>> for OpenGL to redraw the mesh, I found out. I don't know if the
>> subdivided mesh can still be saved (I didn't try). Somebody with a
>> better suggestion?
>>

> No more than two subdivisions, I would say. Can PoseRay displace faces
> along their normal? (I don't have it installed atm.)

You can do displacement mapping, if that is what you mean, but that is
tricky. I don't know how good MeshLab is for these kind of
manipulations, by the way. Might be worth the try.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

On 28/08/2017 12:06, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 28-8-2017 9:27, Stephen wrote:
>>>>

>>> I suppose these lower res meshes are posted by NASA in order to
>>> reduce the 'weight' of the files.
>>>

>> I think it is the other way round. The High Res meshes are made
>> available as a courtesy. You can't expect NASA to give it a high
>> priority when no one in their right mind would try to build a planet
>> in High Res. What would the memory requirements be anyway?
>
> I am lost now. The Nasa meshes we downloaded from NASA (like Valles
> Marineris) are they considered hi- or lo-res?

 From what I can remember. Only a few of the Mars sites have a high Res
mesh.
Unless Sven is talking about another site.

> Additionally, I think that
> mesh landscapes always show a resolution problem; so do height_fields
> too of course, and both when used for a close, detailed, view. I don't
> think there really is a solution for that, except using the
> mesh/heightfield for background or mid-range view, and a separate,
> local, one for a detailed foreground. That is what I do in those cases.

The man uses mountain ranges as props. Respect. :-)

>> No more than two subdivisions, I would say. Can PoseRay displace faces
>> along their normal? (I don't have it installed atm.)
>>

> You can do displacement mapping, if that is what you mean, but that is
> tricky.

It is and it is.

I'd like to test but I can't.

> I don't know how good MeshLab is for these kind of
> manipulations, by the way. Might be worth the try.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> On 28/08/2017 12:06, Thomas de Groot wrote:

>>> I think it is the other way round. The High Res meshes are made
>>> available as a courtesy. You can't expect NASA to give it a high
>>> priority when no one in their right mind would try to build a planet
>>> in High Res. What would the memory requirements be anyway?
>>
>> I am lost now. The Nasa meshes we downloaded from NASA (like Valles
>> Marineris) are they considered hi- or lo-res?
>
> From what I can remember. Only a few of the Mars sites have a high Res
> mesh.
> Unless Sven is talking about another site.
>
>> Additionally, I think that mesh landscapes always show a resolution
>> problem; so do height_fields too of course, and both when used for a
>> close, detailed, view. I don't think there really is a solution for
>> that, except using the mesh/heightfield for background or mid-range
>> view, and a separate, local, one for a detailed foreground. That is
>> what I do in those cases.
>>

> The man uses mountain ranges as props. Respect. :-)
>

>>> No more than two subdivisions, I would say. Can PoseRay displace
>>> faces along their normal? (I don't have it installed atm.)
>>>

>> You can do displacement mapping, if that is what you mean, but that is
>> tricky.
>
> It is and it is.
>
> I'd like to test but I can't.
>
>> I don't know how good MeshLab is for these kind of manipulations, by
>> the way. Might be worth the try.

Someone mentioned those famous HiRise graphic files that somehow can be
converted to hi-res meshes. But I don't know, how, nor do I have the
right software on my Windows system. Can anyone assist?

---
http://www.avg.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 29 Aug 2017 02:36:29
Message: <59a50b6d$1@news.povray.org>
On 28-8-2017 16:47, Sven Littkowski wrote:
> Someone mentioned those famous HiRise graphic files that somehow can be
> converted to hi-res meshes. But I don't know, how, nor do I have the
> right software on my Windows system. Can anyone assist?

Can you redirect us to that message? I don't remember this.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 30 Aug 2017 09:35:25
Message: <59a6bf1d$1@news.povray.org>
On 29.08.2017 02:36, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 28-8-2017 16:47, Sven Littkowski wrote:
>> Someone mentioned those famous HiRise graphic files that somehow can be
>> converted to hi-res meshes. But I don't know, how, nor do I have the
>> right software on my Windows system. Can anyone assist?
>>

> Can you redirect us to that message? I don't remember this.

It was not this thread, but inside one of my other threads, not longer
than 3 months ago. The problem is, some threads got more than 60
follow-ups. Lots to search, to find and redirect. Will try, but not
promise.   :-)

---
http://www.avg.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 30 Aug 2017 09:49:49
Message: <59a6c27d$1@news.povray.org>
On 27.08.2017 13:23, Sven Littkowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as many know, i want to work on a number of Martian renders. I
> downloaded from the NASA 3D Resources website a number of Martian 3D
> surface files, but sadly, they all are in a very low resolution, lots of
> triangles and corners.
>
> At the same time, I am seeing on the Internet some renders that show
> some very impressively detailed martian landscapes, among them my Valles
> Marineris. But these renders were done long time ago, around 2004.
>
> Does anyone here know, where to get POV-Ray usable hi-res Mars 3D
> surface files? I do not have the ability to convert Hi-Rise images.
>
> ---
> http://www.avg.com

Is there a way, to convert Celestia's CMOD terrain files into OBJ or any
other 3D file format? Thanks.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 30 Aug 2017 10:12:31