POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : QUESTION: Ho-Res Martian 3D Surface Files: Where? : Re: QUESTION: Ho-Res Martian 3D Surface Files: Where? Server Time
4 May 2024 18:39:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: QUESTION: Ho-Res Martian 3D Surface Files: Where?
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 28 Aug 2017 02:57:00
Message: <59a3bebc$1@news.povray.org>
On 27-8-2017 19:23, Sven Littkowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as many know, i want to work on a number of Martian renders. I
> downloaded from the NASA 3D Resources website a number of Martian 3D
> surface files, but sadly, they all are in a very low resolution, lots of
> triangles and corners.
>
> At the same time, I am seeing on the Internet some renders that show
> some very impressively detailed martian landscapes, among them my Valles
> Marineris. But these renders were done long time ago, around 2004.
>
> Does anyone here know, where to get POV-Ray usable hi-res Mars 3D
> surface files? I do not have the ability to convert Hi-Rise images.

I suppose these lower res meshes are posted by NASA in order to reduce
the 'weight' of the files.

What you can do with your own meshes is to subdivide them in Poseray.
However, you may be in trouble rapidly as the file becomes too large for
OpenGL to redraw the mesh, I found out. I don't know if the subdivided
mesh can still be saved (I didn't try). Somebody with a better suggestion?

--
Thomas