POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : QUESTION: Ho-Res Martian 3D Surface Files: Where? : Re: QUESTION: Ho-Res Martian 3D Surface Files: Where? Server Time
4 May 2024 22:36:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: QUESTION: Ho-Res Martian 3D Surface Files: Where?
From: Stephen
Date: 28 Aug 2017 03:27:33
Message: <59a3c5e5$1@news.povray.org>
On 28/08/2017 07:56, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 27-8-2017 19:23, Sven Littkowski wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> as many know, i want to work on a number of Martian renders. I
>> downloaded from the NASA 3D Resources website a number of Martian 3D
>> surface files, but sadly, they all are in a very low resolution, lots of
>> triangles and corners.
>>
>> At the same time, I am seeing on the Internet some renders that show
>> some very impressively detailed martian landscapes, among them my Valles
>> Marineris. But these renders were done long time ago, around 2004.
>>
>> Does anyone here know, where to get POV-Ray usable hi-res Mars 3D
>> surface files? I do not have the ability to convert Hi-Rise images.
>>

> I suppose these lower res meshes are posted by NASA in order to reduce
> the 'weight' of the files.

I think it is the other way round. The High Res meshes are made
available as a courtesy. You can't expect NASA to give it a high
priority when no one in their right mind would try to build a planet in
High Res. What would the memory requirements be anyway?

> What you can do with your own meshes is to subdivide them in Poseray.
> However, you may be in trouble rapidly as the file becomes too large for
> OpenGL to redraw the mesh, I found out. I don't know if the subdivided
> mesh can still be saved (I didn't try). Somebody with a better suggestion?

No more than two subdivisions, I would say. Can PoseRay displace faces
along their normal? (I don't have it installed atm.)

--

Regards
     Stephen