POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Question: Twisting a Heightfield? Server Time
8 May 2024 07:58:45 EDT (-0400)
  Question: Twisting a Heightfield? (Message 11 to 20 of 30)
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Question: Twisting a Heightfield?
Date: 9 Feb 2016 07:23:46
Message: <56b9da52$1@news.povray.org>
On 9-2-2016 12:27, scott wrote:
>> Thanks. I just wished, the Inserts would be functional as they are,
>> means, they should include the contain the "shapes.inc" code.
>
> Most of the Insert items are not meant to be stand-alone scenes, but
> IMHO they should at least contain a comment that states if any include
> files are needed in the scene.

... or an #ndef() #include "...inc" #end statement which automatically
would include the necessary file.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 9 Feb 2016 08:23:23
Message: <56b9e84b$1@news.povray.org>
/signed

Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Date: 9 Feb 2016 08:35:00
Message: <web.56b9e9a62a0e639833c457550@news.povray.org>
> On 9-2-2016 12:27, scott wrote:
> >
> > Most of the Insert items are not meant to be stand-alone scenes, but
> > IMHO they should at least contain a comment that states if any include
> > files are needed in the scene.
> >

> ... or an #ndef() #include "...inc" #end statement which automatically
> would include the necessary file.
>
> --
> Thomas

Hmm, I'm wondering if I fully understand the question that was
asked. :-/  Are there insert menu items or #include files that do *not* also
include any additional needed #include files for the initial #include file to
work? (Sorry, that sounds kind of convoluted and funny!) I don't recall any
problems like that... or maybe so, when I first started using POV-Ray, but I
just worked around them...

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 9 Feb 2016 09:57:19
Message: <56b9fe4f$1@news.povray.org>
>>> Most of the Insert items are not meant to be stand-alone scenes, but
>>> IMHO they should at least contain a comment that states if any include
>>> files are needed in the scene.
>>>

>> ... or an #ndef() #include "...inc" #end statement which automatically
>> would include the necessary file.
>>
>> --
>> Thomas
>
> Hmm, I'm wondering if I fully understand the question that was
> asked. :-/  Are there insert menu items or #include files that do *not* also
> include any additional needed #include files for the initial #include file to
> work? (Sorry, that sounds kind of convoluted and funny!) I don't recall any
> problems like that... or maybe so, when I first started using POV-Ray, but I
> just worked around them...

As I understood the OP, the point is that when you add something from
the "Insert" menu, the text block that is inserted should tell you if
you need to also add any #include into your scene file to make that
block of code work.

Indeed some of the items in that menu start with something like:

//needs: #include "shapes.inc"

But the HF_Cylinder one, for example, gives no clues as to what file (if
any) you should #include to get it to work.

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 9 Feb 2016 14:20:22
Message: <56ba3bf6$1@news.povray.org>
Congratulations, Folks -- you have just identified a problem that you
have the power to solve virtually by yourselves ;)

(1) Go to GitHub (https://github.com) and create an account there.

(2) Fork the POV-Ray repository (https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray.git).

(3*) Install the "GitHub Desktop" (https://desktop.github.com/) or any
other Git client of your choice.

(4*) Create a local copy of your POV-Ray repository fork.

(5) Edit the include menu snippets as you deem necessary (they reside at
"distribution/platform-specific/windows/Insert Menu").

(6*) Commit your changes to your local copy of the repository.

(7*) "Push" your changes to your POV-Ray repository fork at GitHub.

(8) Create a so-called "pull request".

This will automatically let us know that you have changed something,
review the changes you have made, and accept your changes into the
official POV-Ray respository by a simple click of a button.

(*If you're changing only a single file, you can skip the steps marked
with an asterisk.)

We need more names to add to the "with contributions from" section ;)

Post a reply to this message

From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 9 Feb 2016 16:07:39
Message: <56ba551b@news.povray.org>
Okay, begin with adding my name to the "with contributions from" section
as I was the one who successfully identified these problems. ;-)

A decade-long dream comes true!!!!!!!!!!

From: clipka
Date: 9 Feb 2016 16:23:16
Message: <56ba58c4$1@news.povray.org>
Am 09.02.2016 um 22:07 schrieb Sven Littkowski:
> Okay, begin with adding my name to the "with contributions from" section
> as I was the one who successfully identified these problems. ;-)
>
> A decade-long dream comes true!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think merely sharing the experience of encountering a problem
qualifies for being added to the contributors' list -- but I might offer
you a prime location in the upcoming "with lots of pestering from"
section ;)

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 9 Feb 2016 17:13:50
Message: <56ba649e@news.povray.org>
On 2/9/2016 9:22 PM, clipka wrote:
> but I might offer
> you a prime location in the upcoming "with lots of pestering from"
> section;)

Can I be in the "PITA with his stupid comments" section? :-)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 9 Feb 2016 18:51:37
Message: <56ba7b89$1@news.povray.org>
Am 09.02.2016 um 23:13 schrieb Stephen:
> On 2/9/2016 9:22 PM, clipka wrote:
>> but I might offer
>> you a prime location in the upcoming "with lots of pestering from"
>> section;)
>
> Can I be in the "PITA with his stupid comments" section? :-)

I guess that could be arranged ;)

Post a reply to this message

From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 10 Feb 2016 04:32:05
Message: <56bb0395@news.povray.org>
Har har har!!!   :-D
So, that means, I am a developer's nightmare... :-)