POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : REQUEST Server Time
17 May 2024 17:09:17 EDT (-0400)
  REQUEST (Message 22 to 31 of 31)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: REQUEST
Date: 19 Jan 2016 04:51:48
Message: <569e0734$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/19/2016 12:12 AM, Sven Littkowski wrote:
> I heard, a common practice in 3D printing is, to use acetone to smoothen
> surfaces afterwards where applicable. I joint some 3D Printing groups on
> Facebook.
>
> Besides, I am really not so sure, how high the pressure on that plastic
> part is. The grinder came with a number of other plastic parts that can
> be mounted at the same location outside, where I want to mount this
> plastic part. And they have the same wall thickness (strength) as the
> part Scott and I developed. I think, I still want to give a try.

I suppose a lot depends on the 3D printer how good it is. I've not tried
3D printing myself. I have seen videos and some models are very good
while some home printers have lots of excess material that needs to be
cut off and smoothed.
I understand your desire to try 3D printing. It is modern and an
attractive idea.

> But in regards of the micro fauna and the fact, that 3D printing today
> (when done with a layer printer) is having a rough outside, I give you
> the point easily. I hope, with some acetone I can smoothen the inside.
> And otherwise, good cleansing afterwards and also before, each time.

I would be more worried about the inside of the funnel, where the meat
passes through.
Any small fissures would be filled by the meat moving under pressure. It
is your choice, of course. But as Scott points out. A metal one could be
turned in an hour on almost any lathe.

> ---------------
>
> I am still trying to find a solution in regards to my round grinding
> blade. If you know any good machine shops, please let me have their
> contact information. I am aware it will take some money, but need to
> find out, how much. Thanks.   :-)

It would take more than money. You are really talking about prototyping.
Someone would need to make a punch and die set for the job. Then you
would need to try it and make any changes to the design (to stop
clogging or to cut the plastic smaller etc.).
Sorry about being so negative I hope someone can prove me wrong.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> On 1/19/2016 12:12 AM, Sven Littkowski wrote:
>> I heard, a common practice in 3D printing is, to use acetone to smoothen
>> surfaces afterwards where applicable. I joint some 3D Printing groups on
>> Facebook.
>>
>> Besides, I am really not so sure, how high the pressure on that plastic
>> part is. The grinder came with a number of other plastic parts that can
>> be mounted at the same location outside, where I want to mount this
>> plastic part. And they have the same wall thickness (strength) as the
>> part Scott and I developed. I think, I still want to give a try.
>>

> I suppose a lot depends on the 3D printer how good it is. I've not tried
> 3D printing myself. I have seen videos and some models are very good
> while some home printers have lots of excess material that needs to be
> cut off and smoothed.
> I understand your desire to try 3D printing. It is modern and an
> attractive idea.
>

>> But in regards of the micro fauna and the fact, that 3D printing today
>> (when done with a layer printer) is having a rough outside, I give you
>> the point easily. I hope, with some acetone I can smoothen the inside.
>> And otherwise, good cleansing afterwards and also before, each time.
>>

> I would be more worried about the inside of the funnel, where the meat
> passes through.
> Any small fissures would be filled by the meat moving under pressure. It
> is your choice, of course. But as Scott points out. A metal one could be
> turned in an hour on almost any lathe.

Adding to that, I would warn that truly cleaning those possibly small
fissures would be near impossible, with bacteria remaining behind. It
does not seem a good idea to me.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

On 1/19/2016 12:30 PM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 19-1-2016 10:51, Stephen wrote:

>> I would be more worried about the inside of the funnel, where the meat
>> passes through.
>> Any small fissures would be filled by the meat moving under pressure. It
>> is your choice, of course. But as Scott points out. A metal one could be
>> turned in an hour on almost any lathe.
>>

> Adding to that, I would warn that truly cleaning those possibly small
> fissures would be near impossible, with bacteria remaining behind. It
> does not seem a good idea to me.

That is what worries me too. Although I just thought that if the inside
diameter was made slightly smaller. Then you could file then sand any
blemishes out before smoothing it with acetone.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> On 1/19/2016 12:30 PM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>> On 19-1-2016 10:51, Stephen wrote:
>

>>> I would be more worried about the inside of the funnel, where the meat
>>> passes through.
>>> Any small fissures would be filled by the meat moving under pressure. It
>>> is your choice, of course. But as Scott points out. A metal one could be
>>> turned in an hour on almost any lathe.
>>>

>> Adding to that, I would warn that truly cleaning those possibly small
>> fissures would be near impossible, with bacteria remaining behind. It
>> does not seem a good idea to me.
>>

> That is what worries me too. Although I just thought that if the inside
> diameter was made slightly smaller. Then you could file then sand any
> blemishes out before smoothing it with acetone.

I suppose so. Still, kitchenware used on raw meat should not be made of
plastic as a rule but of steel. Have a look in any self-respecting
restaurant kitchen.

[Remembering the days I used my Soviet-made, cast-iron, meat grinder...]

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message