POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : REQUEST : Re: REQUEST Server Time
1 Jun 2024 21:01:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: REQUEST
From: scott
Date: 20 Jan 2016 03:27:35
Message: <569f44f7$1@news.povray.org>
> YES! Please take my design over to them! I need to hear their opinion.
> Can you do this? Thanks.

The first thing they'll want to know is the tolerances required on all
those c

> i want to develop a machine, that makes out of empty plastic bottle
> trash new PET filament for 3D printers, that is what I need this
> fast-rotating disc for.

This is called a regrinder. They are used in plastic part making places
to take scrap parts and convert them back into the pellets they can use
again to make more parts. The quality of the plastic is reduced though,
so usually there is a limit on the amount of regrind that is allowed in
the mix.

I can think of many methods to make a prototype of this (varying costs,
time accuracy and quality of course):

1. Find some commercial graters that look similar, cut them up and weld
them together as necessary.

2. Use a CNC to mill it from solid. Would require quite a high spec CNC
machine.

3. Mill out the holes from a sheet (a lower spec machine shop should be
able to do this), find something you can use as the "domes" (or machine
them from solid) and weld them all into the plate.

4. Make a simple die pair to cut and form one of the cutters, then
manually apply it using a hand-press at various points across the disc.

5. Make a die set to cut and form the whole thing in one shot from a
sheet of steel.

6. Talk to some metal 3D printing companies to see if they are able to
make something this size with the strength/accuracy needed on the
cutters (sorry I have no experience with this to know if it's feasible
or not).