POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : REQUEST Server Time
17 May 2024 16:26:32 EDT (-0400)
  REQUEST (Message 11 to 20 of 31)
From: Sven Littkowski
Subject: Re: REQUEST
Date: 15 Jan 2016 18:53:11
Message: <56998667@news.povray.org>
Point taken, Scott. Is this sketch good enough?

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download '2.jpg' (67 KB)

Preview of image '2.jpg'
2.jpg

From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 16 Jan 2016 13:08:11
Message: <569a870b$1@news.povray.org>
Hi Scott, did you see my sketch?

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 18 Jan 2016 03:43:24
Message: <569ca5ac@news.povray.org>
> Point taken, Scott. Is this sketch good enough?

Yes that's much better. The section view attached shows the minimum
number of dimensions needed to fully constrain this shape (the CAD
software will give an error if you try to overconstrain the layout).

A word of warning about getting it 3D printed, you will want to make
sure that the surface finish is smooth enough, otherwise I imagine
you're going to get bits of sausage meat stuck in the plastic which will
probably be very difficult to clean out. Also I don't know what sort of
pressures you're talking about, but some of the cheaper 3D printers
don't give parts that are very strong at all. And, check the material
used, as some absorb water very readily, expand and will change shape or
warp over time.

Personally I would get this part turned on a lathe from a bit of
stainless steel bar. It will last forever, be much stronger and far more
hygenic. I doubt the price would be any more than a decent quality 3D
print. The CAD software tells me it would weigh about 200g if made from
steel.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'prt0001_stl.zip' (104 KB) Download 'section.png' (13 KB) Download 'solid.png' (116 KB) Download 'stl_mesh.png' (225 KB)

Preview of image 'section.png'
section.png

Preview of image 'solid.png'
solid.png