POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : REQUEST : Re: REQUEST Server Time
1 Jun 2024 14:37:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: REQUEST
From: Stephen
Date: 18 Jan 2016 17:55:24
Message: <569d6d5c$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/18/2016 10:03 PM, Sven Littkowski wrote:
> Yes, here are machine shops, but Jamaica is a very poor country (thanks
> to its incapable and corrupt, partially even criminal government). The
> machine shops here are very limited in what they can do (type of
> machines they can afford), and also very limited by metal types.

You won't get any arguments from me on that assesment. :-(

> Some weeks ago, I tried to find a machine shop that can create a
> fast-rotating disc for a machine I wanted to build to make powder out of
> empty plastic bottles (see attached render image), and they couldn't do
> it. I went to over 20 machine shops until I gave up. I learned, what
> they can do, and what not.

That is a different kettle of saltfish. ;-)
Your grinder blade is quite complicated. You would need a template to
stamp out the body then you would have to weld the uprights. A prototype
would be hard and expensive to make. On the other hand, the part you
need for the meat grinder is simple. I don't think that the pressure
justifies surgical stainless steel. Just a metal that would not corrode.
I agree with Scott that a piece made from printed plastic might be
unsuitable for your needs. You would never know what beasties were
hiding in the crevices or when its structural strength would fail.
I would take the drawing you did for Scott and ask about that.
I have a similar problem with a pressure cooker. The plastic well that
the relief valve sits in. Sheared off and I have a large pot with a
whistling lid, now. Even at the low-ish pressure of 15 psi I would not
contemplate using a printed part unless it was properly engineered.
It is a great idea but  a bit iffy in practice.

--

Regards
     Stephen