POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Transparency maps Server Time
22 Jun 2024 06:34:30 EDT (-0400)
  Transparency maps (Message 11 to 20 of 36)
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Transparency maps
Date: 27 Nov 2014 03:59:00
Message: <5476e7d4$1@news.povray.org>
On 26-11-2014 19:54, Ive wrote:
>       texture_map {
>        [0.00 texture {pigment{rgb 1 transmit 1} finish{diffuse 1}}]
>        [1.00 texture {pigment{rgb 1 transmit 0} finish{diffuse 1}}]
>       }

Nitpicking, but above should be:

       texture_map {
         [0.00 pigment{rgb 1 transmit 1} finish{diffuse 1}]
         [1.00 pigment{rgb 1 transmit 0} finish{diffuse 1}]
       }

This discussion reminded me suddenly of a scene I made in 2011 (Port of
Call). I had the clouds not exactly right back then because I failed to
use a pigment_pattern.

I'll post a new version in p.b.i once the scene has finished rendering.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

On 27/11/2014 08:58, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 26-11-2014 19:54, Ive wrote:
>>       texture_map {
>>        [0.00 texture {pigment{rgb 1 transmit 1} finish{diffuse 1}}]
>>        [1.00 texture {pigment{rgb 1 transmit 0} finish{diffuse 1}}]
>>       }
>
> Nitpicking, but above should be:
>
>        texture_map {
>          [0.00 pigment{rgb 1 transmit 1} finish{diffuse 1}]
>          [1.00 pigment{rgb 1 transmit 0} finish{diffuse 1}]
>        }

I was going to mention that on my next post.
Interestingly, Bishop3D parsed it correctly.

> This discussion reminded me suddenly of a scene I made in 2011 (Port of
> Call). I had the clouds not exactly right back then because I failed to
> use a pigment_pattern.
>
> I'll post a new version in p.b.i once the scene has finished rendering.

Be careful. Once you start looking at old scenes. You will find
something else that wants improving. Never ending.
I noticed that some of my earth maps go back to 98 (when I downloaded
them) and the ones I normally use are from 2008. So I downloaded some of
the Blue Marble ones. Now the Nautilus model does not fit in with the
Earth . I will need to rework its textures.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> Be careful. Once you start looking at old scenes. You will find
> something else that wants improving. Never ending.
> I noticed that some of my earth maps go back to 98 (when I downloaded
> them) and the ones I normally use are from 2008. So I downloaded some of
> the Blue Marble ones. Now the Nautilus model does not fit in with the
> Earth . I will need to rework its textures.

I know. It is a difficult to resist temptation.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 27 Nov 2014 07:47:08
Message: <54771d4c$1@news.povray.org>
On 27/11/2014 12:15, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 27-11-2014 11:55, Stephen wrote:
>
>> Be careful. Once you start looking at old scenes. You will find
>> something else that wants improving. Never ending.
>> I noticed that some of my earth maps go back to 98 (when I downloaded
>> them) and the ones I normally use are from 2008. So I downloaded some of
>> the Blue Marble ones. Now the Nautilus model does not fit in with the
>> Earth . I will need to rework its textures.
>>

> I know. It is a difficult to resist temptation.

Not for me. I don't even bother.
See a temptation and pick it up.
And all day you'll have something to do.

And I have a new PC which goes Varoom!

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 27 Nov 2014 07:58:16
Message: <54771fe8$1@news.povray.org>
On 27-11-2014 13:47, Stephen wrote:
> On 27/11/2014 12:15, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>> On 27-11-2014 11:55, Stephen wrote:
>>
>>> Be careful. Once you start looking at old scenes. You will find
>>> something else that wants improving. Never ending.
>>> I noticed that some of my earth maps go back to 98 (when I downloaded
>>> them) and the ones I normally use are from 2008. So I downloaded some of
>>> the Blue Marble ones. Now the Nautilus model does not fit in with the
>>> Earth . I will need to rework its textures.
>>>

>> I know. It is a difficult to resist temptation.
>>

> Not for me. I don't even bother.
> See a temptation and pick it up.
> And all day you'll have something to do.
>
> And I have a new PC which goes Varoom!

LOL Excellent!

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 27 Nov 2014 07:58:55
Message: <5477200f$1@news.povray.org>
On 26/11/2014 18:54, Ive wrote:
> Am 26.11.2014 14:12, schrieb Stephen:
>> ... I was hoping that someone had devised a way to use the
>> greyscale value.

Thanks, I posted an update in p.b.i in Thomas's thread.

> #declare PP_Claud = pigment{image_map{jpeg "my_cloud_map" map_type 1
> interpolate 2}}
>
>   sphere{ 0, 1.005
>     texture {
>       pigment_pattern{PP_Claud}
>       texture_map {
>        [0.00 texture {pigment{rgb 1 transmit 1} finish{diffuse 1}}]
>        [1.00 texture {pigment{rgb 1 transmit 0} finish{diffuse 1}}]
>       }
>     }
>   }
>
> ....where "my_cloud_map" is a grayscale, not a color palette image!
>
> and it might be a good idea to add the cloud texture to a slightly
> larger scaled sphere (than the planet) and not as top layered texture as
> you did.

Yes that is better.

> And you didn't ask for it but anyway: adding a specular map in pretty
> much the same way (giving highlights to the ocean covered area but not
> to the land mass) makes it even more realistic.

What do you know, it makes quite an improvement. The Greek Isles look
very attractive at this time of year.

> With some scattering media atmosphere it gives something like this:
> http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/<4a056976@news.povray.org>

I don't want it to look that good. :-)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 27 Nov 2014 08:01:28
Message: <547720a8$1@news.povray.org>
On 27/11/14 12:47, Stephen wrote:

> And I have a new PC which goes Varoom!

Are you sure it's meant to make that noise?

John
--
Protect the Earth
It was not given to you by your parents

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 27 Nov 2014 08:14:26
Message: <547723b2$1@news.povray.org>
On 27/11/2014 13:01, Doctor John wrote:
> On 27/11/14 12:47, Stephen wrote:
>>
>> And I have a new PC which goes Varoom!
>>

> Are you sure it's meant to make that noise?

It's like Mr McHenry on speed. :-D

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 27 Nov 2014 08:20:15
Message: <5477250f$1@news.povray.org>
On 27/11/14 13:14, Stephen wrote:

> It's like Mr McHenry on speed. :-D

Excellent mental image :-D

John

From: Stephen
Date: 27 Nov 2014 08:37:40
Message: <54772924$1@news.povray.org>
On 27/11/2014 13:20, Doctor John wrote:
> On 27/11/14 13:14, Stephen wrote:
>>
>> It's like Mr McHenry on speed. :-D
>>

> Excellent mental image :-D

It is, isn't it?

How about:
Zebedee is on the sex register?
Florence dobbed him in.

(That should keep you awake at nights.) :-P

--

Regards
     Stephen