POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Reading a colour on an object Server Time
1 Jun 2024 13:57:08 EDT (-0400)
  Reading a colour on an object (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Reading a colour on an object
Date: 11 Nov 2014 10:36:25
Message: <54622cf9$1@news.povray.org>
I am suddenly not sure. Is it possible to read a colour at a defined
point - using trace() - on the surface of an object, by using
eval_pigment() at that point? I know how to do it with an image_map as
intermediary but can it be done directly?

For instance, if object{A} has a texture{B} and trace() finds a position
P=<x,y,z> on the surface of A, would the colour at P then be
D=eval_pigment(A,P) ? That obviously does not work as A is not a
pigment. However, I would like to do something like that but do not know
how.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 17:36:22 +0200, Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg>
wrote:

> I am suddenly not sure. Is it possible to read a colour at a defined
> point - using trace() - on the surface of an object, by using
> eval_pigment() at that point? I know how to do it with an image_map as
> intermediary but can it be done directly?
>
> For instance, if object{A} has a texture{B} and trace() finds a position
> P=<x,y,z> on the surface of A, would the colour at P then be
> D=eval_pigment(A,P) ? That obviously does not work as A is not a
> pigment. However, I would like to do something like that but do not know
> how.
>
> Thomas

It would be wonderful if it worked on uv-mapped meshes as well :)

--
-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message

> I am suddenly not sure. Is it possible to read a colour at a defined
> point - using trace() - on the surface of an object, by using
> eval_pigment() at that point? I know how to do it with an image_map as
> intermediary but can it be done directly?
>
> For instance, if object{A} has a texture{B} and trace() finds a position
> P=<x,y,z> on the surface of A, would the colour at P then be
> D=eval_pigment(A,P) ? That obviously does not work as A is not a
> pigment. However, I would like to do something like that but do not know
> how.
>
> Thomas

Since Trace only returns the point of intersection and the normal vector, and
there's really no way to query object attributes, the best I'd think you could
do is pass the intersection Point and the pigment to eval_pigment...

Although... You might get more information from a function.   It's worth
investigating.

Regards,
A.D.B.

Post a reply to this message