POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Smooth normals for mesh2 objects Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:23:27 EDT (-0400)
  Smooth normals for mesh2 objects (Message 1 to 10 of 21)
From: David Given
Subject: Smooth normals for mesh2 objects
Date: 6 Dec 2013 08:26:55
Message: <52a1d09f$1@news.povray.org>
Is there a way to get Povray to automatically calculate smoothed normals
for a mesh2?

I'm generating huge meshes from an external procedural terrain
generator. The generator assumes that the renderer doesn't need explicit
normals, so not only does it not write them but it lacks the
functionality internally to go from a vertex to the facets containing
the vertex. So adding support for calculating smoothed normals is going
to be non-trivial.

Most other renderers I've looked at have an option to do this
automatically. Does Povray?

--
┌─── dg@cowlark.com ─────
http://www.cowlark.com ─────

Post a reply to this message

David Given <dg### [at] cowlarkcom> wrote:
> Is there a way to get Povray to automatically calculate smoothed normals
> for a mesh2?

Currently, no.

(Such a feature might be added in the future, either as a direct feature,
or by enhancing the language so that it could be easily written as a
script.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> David Given <dg### [at] cowlarkcom> wrote:
>> Is there a way to get Povray to automatically calculate smoothed normals
>> for a mesh2?
>
> Currently, no.

And the real tricky question is: how do you weight the various normals
at a vertex ?
So far I came with at least 4 different ways.

And for information: mesh2 is only a syntax, mesh & mesh2 are the same
internal object inside povray.
(yet, mesh2 is parsed much faster when it becomes long)

> (Such a feature might be added in the future, either as a direct feature,

Done as a direct feature: smooth{...}
Illustration at:
http://wiki.povray.org/content/User:Le_Forgeron#smooth

Source code at:
https://bitbucket.org/LeForgeron/hgpovray

--
Just because nobody complains does not mean all parachutes are perfect.

Post a reply to this message