POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Very bright objects and EXR Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:30:15 EDT (-0400)
  Very bright objects and EXR (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: David Given
Subject: Very bright objects and EXR
Date: 4 Dec 2013 08:34:59
Message: <529f2f83$1@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to render space scenes with a extremely sun. Rather than
fiddle around with trying to artificially add lens flares via NKFlare,
it occurs to me it ought to be possible to use the new EXR support to
render the image with the sun at its true brightness, and then
post-process the image to add bleeding around the bright pixels to
produce a similar effect. (I won't get a lens flare, but I'll be quite
happy with smearing around the sun to emphasise its brightness.)

Unfortunately I don't know enough magic Google terms to find out whether
such a thing is possible or what tools are available to do it.

What should I be looking for?

--
┌─── dg@cowlark.com ─────
http://www.cowlark.com ─────

Post a reply to this message

Am 04.12.2013 14:34, schrieb David Given:
> I'm trying to render space scenes with a extremely sun. Rather than
> fiddle around with trying to artificially add lens flares via NKFlare,
> it occurs to me it ought to be possible to use the new EXR support to
> render the image with the sun at its true brightness, and then
> post-process the image to add bleeding around the bright pixels to
> produce a similar effect. (I won't get a lens flare, but I'll be quite
> happy with smearing around the sun to emphasise its brightness.)
>
> Unfortunately I don't know enough magic Google terms to find out whether
> such a thing is possible or what tools are available to do it.
>
> What should I be looking for?

"The Gimp" :-)

Any modern image processing software with OpenEXR support will do. All
you'll need to do is blur the image, and blend it with the original image.

If you want to achieve the effect in a single step, "bloom" is probably
what you're looking for.

Post a reply to this message

> Am 04.12.2013 14:34, schrieb David Given:
>> I'm trying to render space scenes with a extremely sun. Rather than
>> fiddle around with trying to artificially add lens flares via NKFlare,
>> it occurs to me it ought to be possible to use the new EXR support to
>> render the image with the sun at its true brightness, and then
>> post-process the image to add bleeding around the bright pixels to
>> produce a similar effect. (I won't get a lens flare, but I'll be quite
>> happy with smearing around the sun to emphasise its brightness.)
>>
>> Unfortunately I don't know enough magic Google terms to find out whether
>> such a thing is possible or what tools are available to do it.
>>
>> What should I be looking for?
>
> "The Gimp" :-)

"LILYsoft IC" is also a good search term. It's primarily an image
viewer/converter (and a very good one at that), but also has some
post-processing essentials built in, including a bloom effect (as an
option of the "gaussian blur" filter).

It's also noteworthy for being developed by POV-Ray community member Ive.

Post a reply to this message