POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : rendering extremely large images Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:19:46 EDT (-0400)
  rendering extremely large images (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Andy
Subject: rendering extremely large images
Date: 2 Jan 2012 22:10:00
Message: <web.4f02717b463ffc43676ca6760@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

I have a large, detailed kaleidoscopic scene I would like to render large enough
to print out and fill an entire wall of my apartment at 150 DPI at least.  This
means I would be working with at least 18000x18000 images, so I am trying to
break up the output into chunks and use a batch file.  Start_Row, End_Row, etc.
are almost what I want, but despite only rendering a portion of the scene,
POV-Ray still seems to allocate a buffer for the entire output size, and it
saves a full-size image that is only rendered in part.  Is there any way to get
it to only allocate memory/save image to the restricted window size?

++automated rendering in chunks would be a really nice feature to have!

Thanks!
Andy

Post a reply to this message

> I have a large, detailed kaleidoscopic scene I would like to render large enough
> to print out and fill an entire wall of my apartment at 150 DPI at least.  This
> means I would be working with at least 18000x18000 images, so I am trying to
> break up the output into chunks and use a batch file.  Start_Row, End_Row, etc.
> are almost what I want, but despite only rendering a portion of the scene,
> POV-Ray still seems to allocate a buffer for the entire output size, and it
> saves a full-size image that is only rendered in part.  Is there any way to get
> it to only allocate memory/save image to the restricted window size?

IMHO,
short answer: no.
medium answer: not with the current versions.
long answer: Maybe... you might try to play with the camera settings to
render full images of relevant size. Notice that some camera type (like
orthographic) are ok with such manipulation, but most are not.

Rhetorical question: why don't you render a single full images at 18k x
18k once ? At least with povray 3.7RC3, it will go into a disk-buffer
while rendering and the transformation into a file-format (such as png)
will be done per line, so it's not like you would have it in memory at
once, at least in povray ?

> ++automated rendering in chunks would be a really nice feature to have!

why do you need chunks ?
Aren't you thinking backward ( printing need chunks (1), so I need
povray to output chunks ? what about typing "splitting image in chunk
for poster" in a search engine ?) ?

(1): some printer's driver/interface even have a poster mode, splitting
the image in as many pages in both directions as desired... so why bother ?

To each program its purpose, IMNSHO.

--
Software is like dirt - it costs time and money to change it and move it
around.

Just because you can't see it, it doesn't weigh anything,
and you can't drill a hole in it and stick a rivet into it doesn't mean
it's free.

Post a reply to this message