POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : rendering extremely large images : Re: rendering extremely large images Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:21:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rendering extremely large images
From: Alain
Date: 4 Jan 2012 13:36:07
Message: <4f049c17@news.povray.org>

> Hi all,
>
> I have a large, detailed kaleidoscopic scene I would like to render large enough
> to print out and fill an entire wall of my apartment at 150 DPI at least.  This
> means I would be working with at least 18000x18000 images, so I am trying to
> break up the output into chunks and use a batch file.  Start_Row, End_Row, etc.
> are almost what I want, but despite only rendering a portion of the scene,
> POV-Ray still seems to allocate a buffer for the entire output size, and it
> saves a full-size image that is only rendered in part.  Is there any way to get
> it to only allocate memory/save image to the restricted window size?
>
> ++automated rendering in chunks would be a really nice feature to have!
>
> Thanks!
> Andy

To cover a whole wall, 150 DPI is gross overkill. Most of the time, you
only need half as much or even less, something in the 50 to 75 DPI
range. Anyway, you won't usualy look at it from less than a few feet...
You can then use interpolation and error diffusion type dithering if you
wish.
It can make an image of about 640 by 480 printed at 1400 DPI, 8" by 6"
look very smooth with absolutely no pixellisation. I know, I've done it
a few times with excellent results.

You can render in pieces, or tiles. Use an orthographic camera,
translate it as needed and render several smaller parts. It can be done
automaticaly using animation.

Alain