POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Open *.inc file via command line / explorer Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:26:19 EDT (-0400)
  Open *.inc file via command line / explorer (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Christian Froeschlin
Subject: Open *.inc file via command line / explorer
Date: 7 Aug 2011 11:09:58
Message: <4e3eaac6$1@news.povray.org>
If I pass an inc file as command line parameter (or, more usefully,
try to open an inc file in the Windows editor from Windows Explorer
by double-clicking), this attempts to process the file as an INI
file, then chokes on it (this is not a valid ini file).

Tested using 3.7 RC3 Windows x64 version. I would have expected
the file to be opened in the editor as with pov files.

Post a reply to this message

> If I pass an inc file as command line parameter (or, more usefully,
> try to open an inc file in the Windows editor from Windows Explorer
> by double-clicking), this attempts to process the file as an INI
> file, then chokes on it (this is not a valid ini file).
>
> Tested using 3.7 RC3 Windows x64 version. I would have expected
> the file to be opened in the editor as with pov files.

To me this sounds like a problem initiated by a third-party app that uses it's
own way of handling files, using ".ini" as extension.
It seams, that some bug in it also has being affected the way of handling files
that comes with a ".inc" extension.

Try to (right click) open the .inc-file with the "open with"- context and don't
chose an application from the list. Instead chose one by browsing manually and
than point to the editor, or to wordpad.

This /may/ work.

Post a reply to this message

> Christian Froeschlin<chr### [at] chrfrde>  wrote:
>> If I pass an inc file as command line parameter (or, more usefully,
>> try to open an inc file in the Windows editor from Windows Explorer
>> by double-clicking), this attempts to process the file as an INI
>> file, then chokes on it (this is not a valid ini file).
>>
>> Tested using 3.7 RC3 Windows x64 version. I would have expected
>> the file to be opened in the editor as with pov files.
>
> To me this sounds like a problem initiated by a third-party app that uses it's
> own way of handling files, using ".ini" as extension.
> It seams, that some bug in it also has being affected the way of handling files
> that comes with a ".inc" extension.

??? This is not what he says at all. He says that when opening an inc file
that is correctly associated with POV-Ray is parsed as INI file rather than
being opened in the editor.

So the question is how 3.6 behaved or if this is a new bug in the command
line parser.

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> ??? This is not what he says at all. He says that when opening an inc
> file that is correctly associated with POV-Ray is parsed as INI file
> rather than being opened in the editor.

yes this is corrcet.

> So the question is how 3.6 behaved or if this is a new bug in the
> command line parser.

I just tried with 3.6 and it also tries to parse as ini. Bowever,
it's less noticeable, as 3.6 only displays the error in the status
bar, while 3.7 opens an error box.

Post a reply to this message

> > ??? This is not what he says at all. He says that when opening an inc
> > file that is correctly associated with POV-Ray is parsed as INI file
> > rather than being opened in the editor.
>
> yes this is corrcet.
>
> > So the question is how 3.6 behaved or if this is a new bug in the
> > command line parser.
>
> I just tried with 3.6 and it also tries to parse as ini. Bowever,
> it's less noticeable, as 3.6 only displays the error in the status
> bar, while 3.7 opens an error box.

Ok, that's indeed a completely different thing.

How's your settings in the explorer; do you see your file-extensions in the
explorer, or are they hidden?

Post a reply to this message

On 11.08.11 22:26, Christian Froeschlin wrote:
> Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
>
>> ??? This is not what he says at all. He says that when opening an inc file
>> that is correctly associated with POV-Ray is parsed as INI file rather
>> than being opened in the editor.
>
> yes this is corrcet.
>
>> So the question is how 3.6 behaved or if this is a new bug in the command
>> line parser.
>
> I just tried with 3.6 and it also tries to parse as ini.

Hmm, I would suggest to open a feature request in the bug tracker then. It
might also be a bug, but without the code at hand right now I can't ell.

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message