POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : display with 2560x1024 resolution Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:23:45 EDT (-0400)
  display with 2560x1024 resolution (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: folkert
Subject: display with 2560x1024 resolution
Date: 3 Aug 2011 09:55:01
Message: <web.4e395236c01c7a76ee65e6b30@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I have a pov-scene (the box of my previous question regarding rendering time)
which fits nicely on my 1280x1024 display.
Now I added a second screen to my computer-setup and would like to use the
pov-scene as a background.
I expected that I should set the right vector for this:
camera {
   right (1280*2/1024)*x
   location <2.5, 2.5, -15> look_at<5, 5, 0>
}
but that doesn't work: instead of a box in the middle of the screen (width the
width of 1 screen so to say) the box gets spread out of both screens, from the
left to the right.
How do I fix that?
Thanks in advance!

Folkert

p.s. I rewrote that box-with-holes script to not use CSG which speeds it up
dramatically. if anyone is interested in the java program which generates it
then contact me### [at] folkertmobiel@gmail.com

Post a reply to this message

Le 03/08/2011 15:50, folkert nous fit lire :
> Hi,
>
> I have a pov-scene (the box of my previous question regarding rendering time)
> which fits nicely on my 1280x1024 display.
> Now I added a second screen to my computer-setup and would like to use the
> pov-scene as a background.
> I expected that I should set the right vector for this:
> camera {
>    right (1280*2/1024)*x
>    location <2.5, 2.5, -15> look_at<5, 5, 0>
> }
> but that doesn't work: instead of a box in the middle of the screen (width the
> width of 1 screen so to say) the box gets spread out of both screens, from the
> left to the right.
> How do I fix that?
> Thanks in advance!

You move from an aspect ratio of 5:4 to a ratio of 10:4
If you adjust the right vector, you will be stretching the view (defined
by a default angle with the classical camera).

+----+
|A   |
|   Z|   <<<< This is your Original picture & view.
+----+

+--------+
|        |
|        |  <<< This would be the new picture.
+--------+

Changing the right would keep the same view and push it in the new picture.

+--------+
|AA      |
|      ZZ|  (notice: double horizontal "pixel" size)
+--------+

Keeping the same right would put the old view at the center of the new
screen, extending both sides (assuming the scene does provide some
additional.

+--------+
| |A   | |
| |   Z| |
+--------+

You might want to play with the visible angle of view directly, using
angle [integer in degres] in the camera after right/...

Post a reply to this message

> You move from an aspect ratio of 5:4 to a ratio of 10:4

which he should, as the required image has a ratio of 10:4

> If you adjust the right vector, you will be stretching the view (defined
> by a default angle with the classical camera).
>
> +----+
> |A   |
> |   Z|<<<<  This is your Original picture&  view.
> +----+
>
> +--------+
> |        |
> |        |<<<  This would be the new picture.
> +--------+
>
> Changing the right would keep the same view and push it in the new picture.

actually, no
changing the right-vector changes the view, keeping the original
right-vector would do what you describe

Everything in the camera-statement changes the view, not the image. The
image is defined by your ini-settings.  So if you define your camera as
having a ratio of 5:4, and then render it as an image of ratio 10:4,
your image will be stretched.

folkert: your camera definition should work, but you probably have
another camera somewhere in the same scene, defined after the one you
changed.