POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A Question regarding output Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:24:13 EDT (-0400)
  A Question regarding output (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Anthony D  Baye
Subject: A Question regarding output
Date: 14 Jan 2011 02:40:01
Message: <web.4d2ffd01e15d90971a86e02e0@news.povray.org>
Often I find it more convenient to scale by a single vector component (e.g.
scale 4.0*x)

the problem is that when I go to render, I get massive numbers of parse
warnings, especially if I do this in a loop.

Is it really necessary to warn the user that scale assumes a value of 1 for any
undefined component?

Regards,

A.D.B.

Post a reply to this message

On 01/14/2011 03:36 AM, Anthony D. Baye wrote:
> Often I find it more convenient to scale by a single vector component (e.g.
> scale 4.0*x)
>
> the problem is that when I go to render, I get massive numbers of parse
> warnings, especially if I do this in a loop.
>
> Is it really necessary to warn the user that scale assumes a value of 1 for any
> undefined component?
>
> Regards,
>
> A.D.B.

you could turn off the warnings stream:
http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Reference_Section_1.3#Text_Streams

or a macro:

#macro SFx (SF)
  #local SF = <SF,0,0> + <0,1,1>;
  scale SF
#end

box {<-1,-1,-1>, <1,1,1>
  pigment {rgb <1,0,0>}
  SFx (4)
  }

Post a reply to this message

> Is it really necessary to warn the user that scale assumes a value of 1 for any
> undefined component?

What makes you think they are undefined?  4*x means <4,0,0> throughout
POV (anything else doesn't make sense).  If you don't like using a
vector for the scale function then you can always set up macros as
already suggested.

Post a reply to this message