POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Color Separation Prism Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:21:34 EDT (-0400)
  Color Separation Prism (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: AlexLens
Subject: Color Separation Prism
Date: 9 Jul 2010 13:25:01
Message: <web.4c375a81e1aa4781602b34be0@news.povray.org>
This may be a trivial question, but I couldn't figure out a way to do it after a
few searches.

Is it possible to pick off the red, green, and blue components of a light source
and send them different directions.  Something like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-CCD_camera

I can definitely see how you can reflect just one color at an interface, but not
how you can reflect one component while the others pass through unaffected
except for total light intensity.

Thanks in advance!

Post a reply to this message

> This may be a trivial question, but I couldn't figure out a way to do it after a
> few searches.
>
> Is it possible to pick off the red, green, and blue components of a light source
> and send them different directions.  Something like this:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-CCD_camera
>
> I can definitely see how you can reflect just one color at an interface, but not
> how you can reflect one component while the others pass through unaffected
> except for total light intensity.
>
> Thanks in advance!

Prety easy. Take a look at the optics.pov smple scene.

The principle is to have a mirror that reflact a single colour or two
and transmit the part that is not reflected.

This is taken verbatim from the mentioned scene:
#declare RedMirrorTex =
texture {
     pigment {color rgb < 0, 1, 1> filter 1}
     finish {ambient 0 diffuse 0 reflection Red}
}

The pigment let pass the blue and green, while the reflection part
reflect the red part.

Alain

Post a reply to this message