POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : CityGen by Chris Colefax Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:28:06 EDT (-0400)
  CityGen by Chris Colefax (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: SharkD
Subject: CityGen by Chris Colefax
Date: 1 Jun 2010 11:48:57
Message: <4c052be9@news.povray.org>
Has anyone ever created some new buildings for this script? Supposedly
it's pretty simple to add them to the macro.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: SharkD
Subject: Re: CityGen by Chris Colefax
Date: 4 Jun 2010 13:30:16
Message: <4c093828$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/1/2010 11:48 AM, SharkD wrote:
> Has anyone ever created some new buildings for this script? Supposedly
> it's pretty simple to add them to the macro.
>

> Mike

Are there any other free procedural city generators that export to POV-Ray?

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message

> Has anyone ever created some new buildings for this script? Supposedly
> it's pretty simple to add them to the macro.
>

> Mike

Found this one for Blender:

http://arnaud.ile.nc/sce/demo.php

Would it be possible to export a city into POV-Ray?

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message

> > Has anyone ever created some new buildings for this script? Supposedly
> > it's pretty simple to add them to the macro.
> >

> > Mike
>

> Found this one for Blender:
>
> http://arnaud.ile.nc/sce/demo.php
>
> Would it be possible to export a city into POV-Ray?
>

> --
> http://isometricland.com

First, if you have access to 3DS Max, there is a huge maxscript with much better
building outputs:
http://www.tysonibele.com/Main/BuildingGenerator/buildingGen_v07_36.mse

For Blender, there is other cityscape generators around too like for instance:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dEZjMHF2TnRTUFJ3NEh4MV9FV190N0E6M%20Q

About exporting to Povray
There is a povray exporter for blender 2.5 still pretty WIP but shipped with the
official blender 2.5 alpha 2 and more futureproof if you know a little bit of
python on are ready to learn. This is the best option for giving back to the
community ;)

And there is a custom version of blender 2.49 that exports to POV with
supposedly better handling of big amounts of geometry. It exports several files
for textures, mesh, globals,... but already has less material/textures support
than some unofficial 2.5 pov engine exporter versions one can find around the
net, though these only export in one file.
Here is how to use it however:
start by a renamed official 2.49 blender build, add these DLLs to it (replacing
old ones):
http://www.zoo-logique.org/3D.Blender/php/compteur.php?url=blenderpackcomplement
and add this custom build:
http://www.zoo-logique.org/3D.Blender/php/compteur.php?url=win32blend2pov100117
Once you start it you'll notice it's one of the recent 2.49 buuilds but still
with the old rolldown menu to chose the renderer (yes you can also render with
the old Yafray 0.9) chose povray, and set the path to pov in the new field for
it in the preference window. The rest is in the Blend2Pov thread over at
blenderartists.org

IMHO, for generating a whole big city with the current state of these exporters,
Using the interface of Blender will probably be more of a limitation than a help
for such procedurally generated sets. but it would indeed be a good idea to use
some of the generated buildings only to enhance them by hand and add them to
existing pov generator.

good luck.

Post a reply to this message

> First, if you have access to 3DS Max, there is a huge maxscript with much better
> building outputs:
> http://www.tysonibele.com/Main/BuildingGenerator/buildingGen_v07_36.mse
>
> For Blender, there is other cityscape generators around too like for instance:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dEZjMHF2TnRTUFJ3NEh4MV9FV190N0E6M%20Q

> About exporting to Povray
> There is a povray exporter for blender 2.5 still pretty WIP but shipped with the
> official blender 2.5 alpha 2 and more futureproof if you know a little bit of
> python on are ready to learn. This is the best option for giving back to the
> community ;)
>
> And there is a custom version of blender 2.49 that exports to POV with
> supposedly better handling of big amounts of geometry. It exports several files
> for textures, mesh, globals,... but already has less material/textures support
> than some unofficial 2.5 pov engine exporter versions one can find around the
> net, though these only export in one file.
> Here is how to use it however:
> start by a renamed official 2.49 blender build, add these DLLs to it (replacing
> old ones):
> http://www.zoo-logique.org/3D.Blender/php/compteur.php?url=blenderpackcomplement
> and add this custom build:
> http://www.zoo-logique.org/3D.Blender/php/compteur.php?url=win32blend2pov100117
> Once you start it you'll notice it's one of the recent 2.49 buuilds but still
> with the old rolldown menu to chose the renderer (yes you can also render with
> the old Yafray 0.9) chose povray, and set the path to pov in the new field for
> it in the preference window. The rest is in the Blend2Pov thread over at
> blenderartists.org
>
> IMHO, for generating a whole big city with the current state of these exporters,
> Using the interface of Blender will probably be more of a limitation than a help
> for such procedurally generated sets. but it would indeed be a good idea to use
> some of the generated buildings only to enhance them by hand and add them to
> existing pov generator.
>
> good luck.

I'm thinking that meshes may render faster than the complex CSG objects
I'm using now. My familiarity with software other than Povray is limited
however.

Mike

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message

> > First, if you have access to 3DS Max, there is a huge maxscript with much better
> > building outputs:
> > http://www.tysonibele.com/Main/BuildingGenerator/buildingGen_v07_36.mse
> >
> > For Blender, there is other cityscape generators around too like for instance:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dEZjMHF2TnRTUFJ3NEh4MV9FV190N0E6M%20Q

> > About exporting to Povray
> > There is a povray exporter for blender 2.5 still pretty WIP but shipped with the
> > official blender 2.5 alpha 2 and more futureproof if you know a little bit of
> > python on are ready to learn. This is the best option for giving back to the
> > community ;)
> >
> > And there is a custom version of blender 2.49 that exports to POV with
> > supposedly better handling of big amounts of geometry. It exports several files
> > for textures, mesh, globals,... but already has less material/textures support
> > than some unofficial 2.5 pov engine exporter versions one can find around the
> > net, though these only export in one file.
> > Here is how to use it however:
> > start by a renamed official 2.49 blender build, add these DLLs to it (replacing
> > old ones):
> > http://www.zoo-logique.org/3D.Blender/php/compteur.php?url=blenderpackcomplement
> > and add this custom build:
> > http://www.zoo-logique.org/3D.Blender/php/compteur.php?url=win32blend2pov100117
> > Once you start it you'll notice it's one of the recent 2.49 buuilds but still
> > with the old rolldown menu to chose the renderer (yes you can also render with
> > the old Yafray 0.9) chose povray, and set the path to pov in the new field for
> > it in the preference window. The rest is in the Blend2Pov thread over at
> > blenderartists.org
> >
> > IMHO, for generating a whole big city with the current state of these exporters,
> > Using the interface of Blender will probably be more of a limitation than a help
> > for such procedurally generated sets. but it would indeed be a good idea to use
> > some of the generated buildings only to enhance them by hand and add them to
> > existing pov generator.
> >
> > good luck.
> >

> I'm thinking that meshes may render faster than the complex CSG objects
> I'm using now. My familiarity with software other than Povray is limited
> however.
>

> Mike
>
> --
> http://isometricland.com

Indeed, though you would have less really random parameters. It would probably
be faster, especially using something like Yafaray or Vray for rendering out of
Blender. Beta version of POV 3.7 is much faster than 3.6 too.