POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Someday I'll understand media - right after I get women figured out and work out the tensions in the Middle East. Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:21:11 EDT (-0400)
  Someday I'll understand media - right after I get women figured out and work out the tensions in the Middle East. (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Some Yahoo
Subject: Someday I'll understand media - right after I get women figured out and work out the tensions in the Middle East.
Date: 31 Jan 2010 14:06:55
Message: <4b65d4cf$1@news.povray.org>
Look, I'm not looking for super accuracy here, just a little media to scatter my light
sources.

right now I' looking down a long corridor so I made this.

#declare media_box=box{
	<-10,-10,-50><10,30,200>
	hollow
	pigment{color rgbf 1}
	interior{
		media {
		  intervals 9
		  scattering { 1, rgb 0.03 }
		  samples 1, 10
		  confidence 1/10
		  variance 1/1000
		  ratio 0.9
		}
	}
}

however, when I use it my render takes many hours to complete.
is there something that can produce a simple, easy haze to scatter my light and take,
oh say 10 minutes?

Post a reply to this message

> however, when I use it my render takes many hours to complete.

  Scattering media can be very slow if not optimally used.

> is there something that can produce a simple, easy haze to scatter my light and
take, oh say 10 minutes?

  The image here didn't take hours to render (although it didn't render in
a few seconds either):

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Tutorial_Section_3.7#A_more_advanced_example_of_scattering_media

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> Look, I'm not looking for super accuracy here, just a little media to
> scatter my light sources.
>
> right now I' looking down a long corridor so I made this.
>
> #declare media_box=box{
>     <-10,-10,-50><10,30,200>
>     hollow
>     pigment{color rgbf 1}
>     interior{
>         media {
>           intervals 9
>           scattering { 1, rgb 0.03 }
>           samples 1, 10
>           confidence 1/10
>           variance 1/1000
>           ratio 0.9
>         }
>     }
> }
>
> however, when I use it my render takes many hours to complete.
> is there something that can produce a simple, easy haze to scatter my
> light and take, oh say 10 minutes?

Post a reply to this message

> Look, I'm not looking for super accuracy here, just a little media to
> scatter my light sources.
>
> right now I' looking down a long corridor so I made this.
>
> #declare media_box=box{
> <-10,-10,-50><10,30,200>
> hollow
> pigment{color rgbf 1}
> interior{
> media {
> intervals 9
> scattering { 1, rgb 0.03 }
> samples 1, 10
> confidence 1/10
> variance 1/1000
> ratio 0.9
> }
> }
> }
>
> however, when I use it my render takes many hours to complete.
> is there something that can produce a simple, easy haze to scatter my
> light and take, oh say 10 minutes?

The default sampling method is method 3. The documentations are about
the old method 1. The settings given are not good for method 3.

Remove intervals 9. It realy bogs you down. Default to intervals 1 and
MUST be left at that value.

Use samples 9 instead. The second samples value is totaly ignored and
best left out.
Also, remove ratio 0.9. It's no longer needed.

You can also leave confidence and variance out and use the default values.
This gives something like:
interior{ media { scattering { 1, rgb 0.03 } samples 20}

This will be much faster and gives the same, or beter, result.

As said, scatering is the slowest kind of media, but you can make it
even slower with bogus parameters.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

> Look, I'm not looking for super accuracy here, just a little media to scatter my
light sources.

> right now I' looking down a long corridor so I made this.
>
> #declare media_box=box{
>  <-10,-10,-50><10,30,200>
>  hollow
>  pigment{color rgbf 1}
>  interior{
>   media {
>     intervals 9
>     scattering { 1, rgb 0.03 }
>     samples 1, 10
>     confidence 1/10
>     variance 1/1000
>     ratio 0.9
>   }
>  }
> }
>
> however, when I use it my render takes many hours to complete.
> is there something that can produce a simple, easy haze to scatter my light and
take, oh say 10 minutes?

Yes, your media settings are less than optimal.  I don't know if this is an
older scene or not, but the default method for media is now 3.  As such, the
intervals should be left at one, and the samples only needs one value.  You can
read more about this in the documentation.

I changed your settings to as below and it renders in about 3 minutes @ 800 x
600 (no aa) on a Q9550 using the beta.  If your are using 3.6, it'll be longer
but fairly close to the ten minute mark if your machine is in the 2.8GHz range.

//-------------
    interior{
        media {
          intervals 1
          scattering { 1, rgb 0.01 }
          samples 10
          confidence 0.9
          variance 1/1000
          ratio 0.9
        }
    }
//-------------

The important difference is the intervals - the number of samples is basically
multiplied by the number of intervals, so your render will take longer.
In any case, if I may offer some constructive criticism on the scene in general,
it will be much more realistic to use attenuation for the lights, both media and
distance.  This may require additional tuning of light brightness, but this can
be done without the media.  You also may want to consider using radiosity.

Currently, the media in the scene is overwhelmingly bright.  If this is not on
purpose, then you can thin the media or boost the absorption (either by the
extinction keyword or adding an absorption component).

   HTH
-Reactor

Post a reply to this message