POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Someday I'll understand media - right after I get women figured out and work out the tensions in the Middle East. : Re: Someday I'll understand media - right after I get women figuredoutand work out the tensions in the Middle East. Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:19:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Someday I'll understand media - right after I get women figuredoutand work out the tensions in the Middle East.
From: Alain
Date: 1 Feb 2010 22:22:19
Message: <4b679a6b$1@news.povray.org>

>> Look, I'm not looking for super accuracy here, just a little media to
>> scatter my light sources.
>>
>> right now I' looking down a long corridor so I made this.
>>
>> #declare media_box=box{
>> <-10,-10,-50><10,30,200>
>> hollow
>> pigment{color rgbf 1}
>> interior{
>> media {
>> intervals 9
>> scattering { 1, rgb 0.03 }
>> samples 1, 10
>> confidence 1/10
>> variance 1/1000
>> ratio 0.9
>> }
>> }
>> }
>>
>> however, when I use it my render takes many hours to complete.
>> is there something that can produce a simple, easy haze to scatter my
>> light and take, oh say 10 minutes?
>
> The default sampling method is method 3. The documentations are about
> the old method 1. The settings given are not good for method 3.
>
> Remove intervals 9. It realy bogs you down. Default to intervals 1 and
> MUST be left at that value.
>
> Use samples 9 instead. The second samples value is totaly ignored and
> best left out.
> Also, remove ratio 0.9. It's no longer needed.
>
> You can also leave confidence and variance out and use the default values.
> This gives something like:
> interior{ media { scattering { 1, rgb 0.03 } samples 20}
>
> This will be much faster and gives the same, or beter, result.
>
> As said, scatering is the slowest kind of media, but you can make it
> even slower with bogus parameters.
>

> Alain

Change  Special effects|Athmospheric media as follow:

// atmospheric media can be generated by adding a media statement
// to the scene not attached to any specific object

media {    // atmospheric media sample
   scattering { 1, rgb 0.03 }
   samples 10
}

Then change Material|Media to:

// general media statement
// put in interior or in scene file for atmospheric media
media {
   // (---general values---)
   samples 10             // minimum and maximum number of samples taken
per interval [1,1]
   // (---media types---)
   absorption rgb<0,1,0>  // absorbing media, block light of specified color
   //emission rgb<0,1,0>  // emitting media, emit light of specified color
   /*
   scattering {           // scattering media
     1,                   // scattering type 1=isotropic; 2=Mie haze;
3=Mie murky
                          // 4=Rayleigh; 5=Henyey-Greenstein
     rgb<0,1,0>           // color
     //eccentricity 0.25  // eccentricity for type 5 [0.0]
     //extinction 1.0     // for balancing amount of absorption [1.0]
   }*/
   // (---method---)
   //method 1             // old Povray 3.1 method
   //method 2             // new method with even distribution
   method 3               // adaptive sampling. New default
   aa_threshold 0.1     // accuracy threshold for method 3 [0.1]
   aa_level 4           // maximum recursion depth for method 3 [4]
   jitter 0.5           // randomness for method 2&3
   // (---density---)
   /*
   density {
     spherical            // any pattern
     color_map {...}      // color_map
     //density_map {...}  // or alternatively density_map
   }*/

   // translate etc.
}

Alain