POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 'Orthographic spherical' camera? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:22:11 EDT (-0400)
  'Orthographic spherical' camera? (Message 11 to 15 of 15)
From: CShake
Subject: Re: 'Orthographic spherical' camera?
Date: 6 Jan 2010 16:33:34
Message: <4b4501ae@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> CShake <cshake+pov### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> Good idea, but make sure to set max_trace_level so you don't get
>> infinite internal reflection.
>
>   When have you got infinite internal reflection?

Hrm, never actually gotten it myself, but I've seen opposed mirrors
create a lot of bounces and slow down rendering. If the exact center of
this scene is sold, I guess it wouldn't be a problem, but if the object
has any transparency I'd be worried about getting another reflection of
the back side of it.

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 6 Jan 2010 17:04:07
Message: <4b4508d7$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2010-01-05 20:59, David Given a écrit :

> Would it be feasible to use a plain orthographic camera imaging a plane,
> and then have a function pigment on the plain that used the trace()
> function to manually cast rays at the model? In other words, manually
> building my own camera with trace()? Would this actually work?

It can work, but the parsing will be prety slow.
The render itself should be relatively fast.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 6 Jan 2010 17:08:59
Message: <4b4509fb$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2010-01-05 22:23, CShake a écrit :
> Kevin Wampler wrote:
>> David Given wrote:
>>> Having thought about it some more, I think that what I'm looking for is
>>> a cross between an orthographic and spherical camera --- I want Povray
>>> to cast rays radially inwards from a spherical viewing surface towards
>>> the centre of my model. Does such a thing exist? If not, can I fake it?
>>
>> I haven't actually tried this, but perhaps you could put a spherical
>> camera at the center of your moon, put everything in your scene into
>> an object{...} construct with the no_image attribute, and then put a
>> large perfectly reflective sphere centered at your camera around the
>> scene?
> Good idea, but make sure to set max_trace_level so you don't get
> infinite internal reflection.

No such risk.
First, you go through the no_image object.
Next, you strike the large sphere.
Then, you get reflected back at your moon, whitch is NON-reflective.
You stop tracing there.

Then, you can't have more than 256 bounces... That,s hardly /infinite/.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Attwood
Date: 6 Jan 2010 19:47:09
Message: <4b452f0d@news.povray.org>
>>> Good idea, but make sure to set max_trace_level so you don't get
>>> infinite internal reflection.
>>
>>   When have you got infinite internal reflection?
>>
> Hrm, never actually gotten it myself, but I've seen opposed mirrors create
> a lot of bounces and slow down rendering. If the exact center of this
> scene is sold, I guess it wouldn't be a problem, but if the object has any
> transparency I'd be worried about getting another reflection of the back
> side of it.

There was a bug in beta 34 that stalled some renders, it's fixed in beta 35.
If you have a hall of mirrors (HoM) effect, POV will color some
pixels black where they aren't reached before max_trace_level.
The default max_trace_level is only 10 bounces,
so stalling shouldn't be an issue.

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 9 Feb 2010 18:39:43
Message: <4b71f23f@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:

>   Don't listen to him. You can't get "infinite internal reflection" with
> povray.

You could with 3.7.0 up until beta.34, in some semi-rare cases ;-)