POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : color mixing tool Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:17:56 EDT (-0400)
  color mixing tool (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: joost 1972
Subject: color mixing tool
Date: 26 Nov 2009 10:25:00
Message: <web.4b0e9c5e7d433a2e2a36ae330@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody could help me to a color mixing tool? I've found
enough color pickers with all kind of options, but non with the same options you
have in real life. When I have a certain color I often just want to add a hint
of an other color, as I do with painting, but can find it quite hard to get the
right touch with the numbers.

Thanks, Joost

Post a reply to this message

> I was wondering if anybody could help me to a color mixing tool? I've
> found enough color pickers with all kind of options, but non with the
> same options you have in real life. When I have a certain color I often
> just want to add a hint of an other color, as I do with painting, but can
> find it quite hard to get the right touch with the numbers.

   I usually do this just with simple arithmetic operations and predefined
colors from colors.inc:

   #declare my_color=Red*.5+Blue*.2+White*.1;

   As you say, it's much easier to work with proportions in a mix of colors,
like in a painting palette.

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

http://www.ignorancia.org

Post a reply to this message

On 11/26/2009 10:22 AM, joost_1972 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if anybody could help me to a color mixing tool? I've found
> enough color pickers with all kind of options, but non with the same options you
> have in real life. When I have a certain color I often just want to add a hint
> of an other color, as I do with painting, but can find it quite hard to get the
> right touch with the numbers.
>
> Thanks, Joost

That's a very interesting idea. I might try and create such a tool.

--
Michael Horvath
mik### [at] gmailcom

Post a reply to this message

"SharkD" <mik### [at] gmailcom> schreef in bericht
> That's a very interesting idea. I might try and create such a tool.

and then in sRGB space?

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> That's a very interesting idea. I might try and create such a tool.

   I just found an online tool that could be used as inspiration:

   http://javascript.about.com/library/blpaint4.htm

   Regards,

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

http://www.ignorancia.org

Post a reply to this message

> I was wondering if anybody could help me to a color mixing tool? I've found
> enough color pickers with all kind of options, but non with the same options you
> have in real life. When I have a certain color I often just want to add a hint
> of an other color, as I do with painting, but can find it quite hard to get the
> right touch with the numbers.
>
> Thanks, Joost

Sometimes when I need a real-life color, I will open a photo with
IrfanView and click on the color I want, to read the RGB values. I take
those values and convert them in POV like so:

rgb <128,96,250>/256

If you want to mix colors this way, just use Gimp or another paint
program and use the eyedropper tool to the get RGB values, and divide
that color vector by 256.

Sam

Post a reply to this message

> If you want to mix colors this way, just use Gimp or another paint
> program and use the eyedropper tool to the get RGB values, and divide
> that color vector by 256.

Actually, divide by 255 since there are 256 colors, but they are in the
range 0-255. #FFFFFF; = <255,255,255>/255 = <1,1,1>

Post a reply to this message