POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : TerraPOV and assumed_gamma Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:17:50 EDT (-0400)
  TerraPOV and assumed_gamma (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: SharkD
Subject: TerraPOV and assumed_gamma
Date: 2 Sep 2009 21:08:26
Message: <4a9f170a$1@news.povray.org>
By default, TerraPOV uses an assumed_gamma value of 1. However, this
messes up the rest of my scene. What adjustments do I need to make to
the media to make it look right with the default gamma value for 3.61?

-Mike

Post a reply to this message

> By default, TerraPOV uses an assumed_gamma value of 1. However, this
> messes up the rest of my scene. What adjustments do I need to make to
> the media to make it look right with the default gamma value for 3.61?

You'll have to adjust *your* scene to work in linear color space (i.e.
gamma 1.0) as gamma correction does not only change brightness, it
changes also the hue and TerraPOV (or e.g. lightsys) will only work in
linear color space (also default for POV-Ray 3.7) as expected.

-Ive

Post a reply to this message

> You'll have to adjust *your* scene to work in linear color space (i.e.
> gamma 1.0) as gamma correction does not only change brightness, it
> changes also the hue and TerraPOV (or e.g. lightsys) will only work in
> linear color space (also default for POV-Ray 3.7) as expected.
>
> -Ive

Any tips on how to go about doing this? The renders always end up
looking too bright and washed out.

-Mike

Post a reply to this message