POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The seam of two bi-cubic patches isn't smooth when raised Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:13:05 EDT (-0400)
  The seam of two bi-cubic patches isn't smooth when raised (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: neodasa
Subject: The seam of two bi-cubic patches isn't smooth when raised
Date: 16 May 2009 14:00:01
Message: <web.4a0efdedfe8cf52d4f15b2600@news.povray.org>
I followed the instructions for joining the two (blue and white, red and white)
patches.  I made sure the coordinates for the forth column of the blue patch:

B14
B24
B34
B44

were the same as the coordinates for the first column of the red patch:

R11
R21
R31
R41

and then added:

#declare R12=B14+(B14-B13);
#declare R22=B24+(B24-B23);
#declare R32=B34+(B34-B33);
#declare R42=B44+(B44-B43);

as per the instruction to smooth out the seam, but when I tested a control point
and raised the seam, it appeared as a sharp edge rather than a smooth edge,
which is what it's not suppose to do.  Anyone know why this happened?

Thanks.

Post a reply to this message

> as per the instruction to smooth out the seam, but when I tested a control point
> and raised the seam, it appeared as a sharp edge rather than a smooth edge,
> which is what it's not suppose to do.  Anyone know why this happened?

  For two adjacent bicubic patches to form a smooth surface the control
points in the shared edge must be equal, and the closest inner control
points of each patch, along with their correspondent edge control point,
must form a straight line.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> I followed the instructions for joining the two (blue and white, red and white)
> patches.  I made sure the coordinates for the forth column of the blue patch:
>
> B14
> B24
> B34
> B44
>
> were the same as the coordinates for the first column of the red patch:
>
> R11
> R21
> R31
> R41
>
> and then added:
>
> #declare R12=B14+(B14-B13);
> #declare R22=B24+(B24-B23);
> #declare R32=B34+(B34-B33);
> #declare R42=B44+(B44-B43);
>
> as per the instruction to smooth out the seam, but when I tested a control point
> and raised the seam, it appeared as a sharp edge rather than a smooth edge,
> which is what it's not suppose to do.  Anyone know why this happened?
>
> Thanks.

You have two patches, sharing control points along the edge where they
meet, as such:

A00---A01---A02---AB0---B01---B02---B03
  |     |     |     |     |     |     |
A10---A11---A12---AB1---B11---B12---B13
  |     |     |     |     |     |     |
A20---A21---A22---AB2---B21---B22---B23
  |     |     |     |     |     |     |
A30---A31---A32---AB3---B31---B32---B33

In order for the patches to meet smoothly, AB0 must mid-way between A02
and B01, AB1 must be mid-way between A12 and B11, AB2 must be mid-way
between A22 and B21, and AB3 must be mid-way between A32 and B31.

Hope this helps,
John

Post a reply to this message

John VanSickle <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> A00---A01---A02---AB0---B01---B02---B03
>   |     |     |     |     |     |     |
> A10---A11---A12---AB1---B11---B12---B13
>   |     |     |     |     |     |     |
> A20---A21---A22---AB2---B21---B22---B23
> A30---A31---A32---AB3---B31---B32---B33

> In order for the patches to meet smoothly, AB0 must mid-way between A02
> and B01, AB1 must be mid-way between A12 and B11, AB2 must be mid-way
> between A22 and B21, and AB3 must be mid-way between A32 and B31.

  They don't have to be mid-way, as long as A02-AB0-B01 forms a straight
line, and likewise for the other trios.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message