POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : projector Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:13:08 EDT (-0400)
  projector (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Christoph
Subject: projector
Date: 27 Oct 2008 12:40:00
Message: <web.4905eeb55b9956825c2817dc0@news.povray.org>
hello!

i am thinking about generating a synthetic ground-truth benchmark image for a 3d
scanner using povray. therefore i would like to know if and how it is possible
to simulate a video projector in povray.

it should be possible to simulate each projector pixel using a spotlight and
place a lens in front of the array, but that would be extremely tedious and
probably inaccurate.

is there a way to project a bitmap onto a scene, ideally with finite
depth-of-field? after all, a projector is just a reverse camera ...

thank you

Post a reply to this message

> is there a way to project a bitmap onto a scene, ideally with finite
> depth-of-field? after all, a projector is just a reverse camera ...

  Simply put the image onto a plane, apply filter 1 to it and put a
light source behind it. All the lighting from that light source on the
other side of the plane will be filtered by the image map, so it effectively
projects the image.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> i am thinking about generating a synthetic ground-truth benchmark image
> for a 3d
> scanner using povray. therefore i would like to know if and how it is
> possible
> to simulate a video projector in povray.
>
> it should be possible to simulate each projector pixel using a spotlight
> and
> place a lens in front of the array, but that would be extremely tedious
> and
> probably inaccurate.
>
> is there a way to project a bitmap onto a scene, ideally with finite
> depth-of-field? after all, a projector is just a reverse camera ...

Yes. You may find the following example helpful. It projects a bitmap onto
the scene, which, in this case is just a plane.

The bitmap is projected by placing it in front of a light source and adding
a filter filtering all of the colours in the image at their full intensity
('filter all 1'). I'm not sure how you'd go about adding a depth of field.

Regards,
Chris B.

camera {location <-0.4,0.4,-1.4> look_at 0}
global_settings {ambient_light 0.05}

// Image to project
plane {z,-0.9
  pigment {
    image_map {
      sys "gear00.bmp"
      once
      filter all 1
    }
    scale 0.1
    translate -0.05
  }
}

// Projector
light_source {<0,0,-1>, rgb 1}
cone {<0,0,-1>,0,<0,0,-0.97>,0.02
  no_shadow
  texture {
    pigment {rgb <1,0,0>}
    finish {ambient 10}
  }
}

// Screen
box {<-0.5,-0.5,0>,<0.5,0.5,0.01> pigment {rgb 1}}

Post a reply to this message