POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : projector : Re: projector Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:21:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: projector
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 27 Oct 2008 19:05:00
Message: <4906491c@news.povray.org>
> i am thinking about generating a synthetic ground-truth benchmark image for a 3d
> scanner using povray. therefore i would like to know if and how it is possible
> to simulate a video projector in povray.

If you want to simulate a real projector, you probably need to
model the lens. Of course, you can project the image just using
a point light source (basically an inverse pinhole camera model).
To get your image through the lens, you need to use photons (or
radiosity, but I think that would be painful to use here).

I once tried something like that, maybe it helps you get started:

http://news.povray.org/povray.general/attachment/%3C486aa74c@news.povray.org%3E/us-ascii

> is there a way to project a bitmap onto a scene, ideally with finite
> depth-of-field? after all, a projector is just a reverse camera ...

You should get depth-of-field when you model the lens.