POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Remote use of POV-Ray Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:18:10 EDT (-0400)
  Remote use of POV-Ray (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Chambers
Subject: Remote use of POV-Ray
Date: 1 Jul 2008 10:58:52
Message: <486a462c$1@news.povray.org>
I'd like to set up my home computer such that, by using minimal
software* on another system, I can send my home computer an SDL file,
have it render, and retrieve the resulting image.

I'm running Windows XP Pro at home.

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to do this?

*Minimal software means nothing that isn't included on almost every
comptuer out there.  I won't be able to install anything on the remote
systems - typically shared systems at the library or work.  Ideally,
nothing more than a web browser and/or FTP client, *possibly* a terminal
shell (I don't know if it'll be available or not).

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
> I'd like to set up my home computer such that, by using minimal
> software* on another system, I can send my home computer an SDL file,
> have it render, and retrieve the resulting image.

> I'm running Windows XP Pro at home.

  This would probably be relatively easy to do in linux (or any other
flavor of unix), but I really can't help you in the case of XP...

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> I'd like to set up my home computer such that, by using minimal software*
> on another system, I can send my home computer an SDL file, have it
> render, and retrieve the resulting image.
>
> I'm running Windows XP Pro at home.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion for how to do this?

You could use the scheduler to launch POV-Ray at a given time, and then send
the file by FTP before the launch and get the file back by FTP too. Of
course you need to send the file at the right moment...
OTOH here's a how to with Remote Desktop
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-22_11-5362390.html?tag=rbxccnbtr1
but apparently it can be tricky.

G.

Post a reply to this message