POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 16-bit grayscale PNGs -> PoV-Ray 16-bit heightfield TGAs? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:21:38 EDT (-0400)
  16-bit grayscale PNGs -> PoV-Ray 16-bit heightfield TGAs? (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Subject: 16-bit grayscale PNGs -> PoV-Ray 16-bit heightfield TGAs?
Date: 25 Mar 2008 05:20:39
Message: <47e8d1f7$1@news.povray.org>
High!

A recent thread on p.b.i. drew my attention to http://www.buining.com -
those 16-bit PNG elevation maps of Earth, the Moon and Mars look
tempting! But AFAIK PoV-Ray's height_field functionality can't handle
grayscale 16-bit PNGs... are there any tool for conversion into 16-bit
heightfield TGAs available? Or at least into ordinary uncompressed
32-bit TGAs, so I could write a converting routine on my own... perhaps
I should take a closer look at the latest version of IrfanView?

See you on www.khyberspace.de!

Yadgar

Now playing: Solid Rock (Dire Straits)

Post a reply to this message

> those 16-bit PNG elevation maps of Earth, the Moon and Mars look
> tempting! But AFAIK PoV-Ray's height_field functionality can't handle
> grayscale 16-bit PNGs... are there any tool for conversion into 16-bit
> heightfield TGAs available?

I think this should work:

global_settings{hf_gray_16}

plane{z,0
  texture{
   pigment{
    image_map{png "your_file_here" interpolate 2}
    translate -.5
    scale 2.1
   }
   scale <-1,1,1>