POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 16-bit grayscale PNGs -> PoV-Ray 16-bit heightfield TGAs? : Re: 16-bit grayscale PNGs -> PoV-Ray 16-bit heightfield TGAs? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:26:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 16-bit grayscale PNGs -> PoV-Ray 16-bit heightfield TGAs?
From: Kenneth
Date: 27 Mar 2008 20:30:01
Message: <web.47ec4791b76e233678dcad930@news.povray.org>

> Yes, you do need Bits_Per_Color=16. Or just +fn16, which sets image type
> to PNG and 16 bits :) I remember the short +stuff easier than the
> Long_Ini_Settings... (and faster to type)

Thanks!

Either I'm vision-impaired, or I just haven't seen that little tidbit in the POV
docs, in either the hf_gray_16 section or the one on HFs. Perhaps it should be
obvious... though my initial thought was that setting the original rendering to
hf_gray_16 would take care of that.

Details, details...

So if the file_type has to be manually set to .png, and the Bits_Per_Color to
16--what exactly does global{hf-gray-16} do?? Besides making the image
gray-scale?  Hmm, perhaps that IS its only purpose, to eliminate unnecessary
color channels. Gee, I feel smarter already!

Ken W.