POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 16-bit grayscale PNGs -> PoV-Ray 16-bit heightfield TGAs? : Re: 16-bit grayscale PNGs -> PoV-Ray 16-bit heightfield TGAs? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:17:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 16-bit grayscale PNGs -> PoV-Ray 16-bit heightfield TGAs?
From: Kenneth
Date: 27 Mar 2008 23:55:01
Message: <web.47ec7984b76e233678dcad930@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:

> So, do I understand that the proper series of events is, first to use Jaime's
> technique of rendering this [downloaded] image in POV--as a hi-rez render,
> and setting my INI file to Output_File_Type=N...

Duh!  It just occurred to me--I'm finally starting to use my brain--that I can
use the 16-bit downloaded grayscale image AS-IS to make the height_field. No
hf_gray_16 rendering step required. The HF renders nicely.

So I have a question (truly out of ignorance): What is the purpose of
re-rendering  that 16-bit image using the hf_gray_16 rendering step that was
mentioned? Seems unnecessary and redundant (other than to apply interpolate 2
to it?) I DO understand that a preliminary rendering step is of course
necessary (using one of POV's patterns, for example) if there is no 16-bit
image to begin with.

I'm confused; please enlighten this poor unfortunate soul.

Ken W.