POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : IRTC to be revived Server Time
1 May 2024 00:55:12 EDT (-0400)
  IRTC to be revived (Message 74 to 83 of 83)
Subject: Re: IRTC to be revived
Date: 13 Oct 2008 03:00:00
Message: <web.48f2f18adb92fe12949384760@news.povray.org>
"Mike the Elder" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> > In povray.general John D. Gwinner <john punctuation gwinner punc cornell punc edu>
wrote:
> > > However, that could lead to a 'lock out' over a long period of time.  So I'd
> > > be tempted to say "sure" but then for every winning image, you have to take
> > > that round 'off', minus one.  Meaning, if you won with one image, you could
> > > submit the next round.  If you won with three images, you'd have to take off
> > > 2 months in a row.  Someone else needs a chance!
> >
> >   That doesn't sound very fair to me. It's like you get banned, penalized
> > for being too good.
> >
> > --
> >                                                           - Warp
>

> I was browsing the IRTC thread to see if anything new had come up and came
> across the above discussion that I had read before without any interesting
> ideas popping into my head.  Upon revisiting it, however, I came up with a
> notion that I would like to share for consideration.
>
> Both John and Warp have good points.  On one hand, having the same person or
> small group of people win again and again can make the event a lot less
> compelling for new participants.  On the other hand, penalizing excellence
> doesn't seem like a good thing either.  Sometimes, a problem can be better
> addressed by making new opportunities than by making new rules.  How about
> this: Anyone who wins more than a certain number of times (say three in a one
> year period just for an example) receives an INVITATION to participate in a
> special "Honor Gallery" for a period of time(specific period negotiable).
> Honor Gallery members would have their images for new rounds prominently
> displayed with the opportunity for viewers to comment and would have full
> voting privileges, but their images would not be voted on.  No one would be
> compelled to accept an Honor Gallery invitation, so any individual who finds
> the competitive aspect of the event an essential part of his or her experience
> would be free to participate as a normal entrant.
>
> In this way, the message to highly talented participants would be "You've made
> it to the top and have nothing more to prove," rather than "You're too good so
> we don't want you."
>
> It's just an idea.  Feedback is welcomed.
>
> Best Regards,
> Mike C.

Dunno about others ....

I have fun creating things, and have more fun showing it to others. Back then
when the competition was on, I did enter several time, never win anything.

But I ain't complaining since my aim was to share what I create to others,
that's all. Plus, I never use my real name, and with the use of disposable
email addresses, no one knows who I am. :)

Oh well ....

Post a reply to this message

> I have fun creating things, and have more fun showing it to others. Back then
> when the competition was on, I did enter several time, never win anything.
>
> But I ain't complaining since my aim was to share what I create to others,
> that's all. Plus, I never use my real name, and with the use of disposable
> email addresses, no one knows who I am. :)
>
> Oh well ....

I did IRTC around 10 years ago.  It was fun, I agree.  However, these days where
every video game is putting up 20 images per second of stunning computer graphics,
while we have to slave for weeks to get something that doesn't look nearly as good.

Post a reply to this message

> I was browsing the IRTC thread to see if anything new had come up and came
> across the above discussion that I had read before without any interesting
> ideas popping into my head.  Upon revisiting it, however, I came up with a
> notion that I would like to share for consideration.
>
> Both John and Warp have good points.  On one hand, having the same person or
> small group of people win again and again can make the event a lot less
> compelling for new participants.  On the other hand, penalizing excellence
> doesn't seem like a good thing either.  Sometimes, a problem can be better
> addressed by making new opportunities than by making new rules.  How about
> this: Anyone who wins more than a certain number of times (say three in a one
> year period just for an example) receives an INVITATION to participate in a
> special "Honor Gallery" for a period of time(specific period negotiable).

when I was looking at the IRTC, "ok great, where's the beef (code)?"

Call it "penalizing excellence":
Honor Gallery members would have the mandatory privilege of revealing their

Otherwise its just meaningless egomania - elitist crap - very similar to what's
killing world economy. A few with exclusionary mentality, spoiling it for
everyone else, not sharing the wealth; which is info/data in the Information
Age, as in examples for improvement and growth of all. Those on a superiority
trip only prove their inferiority. FOR ALL or #^(% *#@$. IMHO

regards,
aQ

> Honor Gallery members would have their images for new rounds prominently
> displayed with the opportunity for viewers to comment and would have full
> voting privileges, but their images would not be voted on.  No one would be
> compelled to accept an Honor Gallery invitation, so any individual who finds
> the competitive aspect of the event an essential part of his or her experience
> would be free to participate as a normal entrant.
>
> In this way, the message to highly talented participants would be "You've made
> it to the top and have nothing more to prove," rather than "You're too good so
> we don't want you."
>
> It's just an idea.  Feedback is welcomed.
>
> Best Regards,
> Mike C.

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 03:08:25 EDT, "alphaQuad" <alp### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:

>when I was looking at the IRTC, "ok great, where's the beef (code)?"
>
>Call it "penalizing excellence":
>Honor Gallery members would have the mandatory privilege of revealing their

>Otherwise its just meaningless egomania - elitist crap - very similar to what's
>killing world economy. A few with exclusionary mentality, spoiling it for
>everyone else, not sharing the wealth; which is info/data in the Information
>Age, as in examples for improvement and growth of all. Those on a superiority
>trip only prove their inferiority. FOR ALL or #^(% *#@$. IMHO
>
>regards,
>aQ

Do you really think the code is what makes a good image?  If so, you're quite naive.
Plus, I imagine that most would share with you if you asked politely.  Since when is
something that is mandated a
privilege?  Yeah right.

Take your off-topic ranting elsewhere.  It's really not wanted here.  Sorry.

Post a reply to this message