POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : IRTC to be revived : Re: IRTC to be revived Server Time
21 May 2024 13:17:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC to be revived
Date: 13 Oct 2008 03:00:00
Message: <web.48f2f18adb92fe12949384760@news.povray.org>
"Mike the Elder" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> > In povray.general John D. Gwinner <john punctuation gwinner punc cornell punc edu>
wrote:
> > > However, that could lead to a 'lock out' over a long period of time.  So I'd
> > > be tempted to say "sure" but then for every winning image, you have to take
> > > that round 'off', minus one.  Meaning, if you won with one image, you could
> > > submit the next round.  If you won with three images, you'd have to take off
> > > 2 months in a row.  Someone else needs a chance!
> >
> >   That doesn't sound very fair to me. It's like you get banned, penalized
> > for being too good.
> >
> > --
> >                                                           - Warp
>

> I was browsing the IRTC thread to see if anything new had come up and came
> across the above discussion that I had read before without any interesting
> ideas popping into my head.  Upon revisiting it, however, I came up with a
> notion that I would like to share for consideration.
>
> Both John and Warp have good points.  On one hand, having the same person or
> small group of people win again and again can make the event a lot less
> compelling for new participants.  On the other hand, penalizing excellence
> doesn't seem like a good thing either.  Sometimes, a problem can be better
> addressed by making new opportunities than by making new rules.  How about
> this: Anyone who wins more than a certain number of times (say three in a one
> year period just for an example) receives an INVITATION to participate in a
> special "Honor Gallery" for a period of time(specific period negotiable).
> Honor Gallery members would have their images for new rounds prominently
> displayed with the opportunity for viewers to comment and would have full
> voting privileges, but their images would not be voted on.  No one would be
> compelled to accept an Honor Gallery invitation, so any individual who finds
> the competitive aspect of the event an essential part of his or her experience
> would be free to participate as a normal entrant.
>
> In this way, the message to highly talented participants would be "You've made
> it to the top and have nothing more to prove," rather than "You're too good so
> we don't want you."
>
> It's just an idea.  Feedback is welcomed.
>
> Best Regards,
> Mike C.

Dunno about others ....

I have fun creating things, and have more fun showing it to others. Back then
when the competition was on, I did enter several time, never win anything.

But I ain't complaining since my aim was to share what I create to others,
that's all. Plus, I never use my real name, and with the use of disposable
email addresses, no one knows who I am. :)

Oh well ....