POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Photon Map: Created at Lower Res than Scene? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:20:14 EDT (-0400)
  Photon Map: Created at Lower Res than Scene? (Message 15 to 24 of 54)
From: Jan Dvorak
Subject: Re: Photon Map: Created at Lower Res than Scene?
Date: 28 Jan 2008 00:00:29
Message: <479d616d$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez napsal(a):
> Jan Dvorak escribió:
>> torus is tested only if its bound fails. It is bounded by a tight
>> difference of two cyliders.
>
> Interesting fact. I knew it, now that you mention it; but I didn't
> remember (been a while since I read it).
>
> Any idea why both torus and its bounding shape have such low hit
> percentage?
It seems that the number of torus bound tests is used to calculate the
success percentage. See the table, rays shot. The actual success rate
for torus in that table is 976314/1072053=91%

Post a reply to this message

From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 28 Jan 2008 01:27:13
Message: <479d75c1@news.povray.org>
Thanks!

Sven

"Jan Dvorak" <jan### [at] centrumcz> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> global_settings{
>   photons{
>     count image_width*image_height
>   }
> }
>
> untested
> Sven Littkowski napsal(a):
>> Shooting the image with those keywords... Hmm, do you mean that I need to
>> put these two keywords inside the camera directive? To be honest, due the
>> lack of experience and knowledge with these two keywords, i would just
>> like to ask you to give an example where and how to use these two
>> keywords in a scene. I think, that should help me.
>>
>> Thanks, Jan.
>>
>> Sven
>>

>> "Jan Dvorak" <jan### [at] centrumcz> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>> You might decide to shoot image_width*image_height*some_constant
>>> photons. Some_constant==1 might work well but feel free to increase for
>>> high quality or decrease for faster render. Use the count keyword and
>>> watch POV-ray do its best.

Post a reply to this message

From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 28 Jan 2008 01:32:21
Message: <479d76f5$1@news.povray.org>
Definatively, I will stay tunes! I am eager for the result, as well as I am
in such a big need for that photon map file!

Be assured, you will like what you see, as soon as you can see the image
itself.

The object(s) even allow you to set different day or night times (which
influences the light inside the scene), as well as you have influence on the
object self (such as rotor rotation and anges, open doors, etc.).

Best greetings,

Sven

"Nicolas Alvarez" <nic### [at] gmailisthebestcom> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:479d42ea$1@news.povray.org...
> [Posting to newsgroup since other people may be interested]
>
> Now that you sent me the files... The scene is quite slow to render
> (55pps) even without radiosity or photons. I tried with photons, and there
> were very long periods where the "photons shot" counter didn't change,
> which could mean POV-Ray is shooting lots of photons but "missing the
> object".
>
> What I'm suspecting is that POV-Ray is creating sub-optimal bounding
> boxes. I see a lot of difference objects on your scene. POV-Ray sometimes
> does a bad job bounding difference/intersection CSG.
>
> I'm now rendering a 160x120 image to see the raytrace statistics at the
> end, and see if there were a lot of misses or not. Stay tuned...

Post a reply to this message

From: Florian Brucker
Date: 28 Jan 2008 06:32:49
Message: <479dbd61$1@news.povray.org>
Hi Sven!

I haven't seen your scene or know anything about it, but it could be
that two of Mike's excellent tutorials could help you with your bounding
issues:

Mike's isosurface tutorial:
http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/

Mike's holes tutorial:
http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/holetut/index.htm

HTH,
Florian

Post a reply to this message

From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 28 Jan 2008 08:41:16
Message: <479ddb7c$1@news.povray.org>
Hi Jan,

I added that line to my photon global statement, and so far, I recognize
that POV-Ray behaves very different to how it was doing the map before.

Yes, there is a clear speed bonus, I recognized that when setting POV to a
resolution of 160x120. Now I have started at 3200x2400, and wait until some
result or crash comes. The blocks of photos are now much smaller (before:
ca. 40,000 before each break, now only 320). I will keep you up to date.

Sven

Post a reply to this message

From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 28 Jan 2008 08:51:54
Message: <479dddfa$1@news.povray.org>
Thanks, Florian. I am gonna check 'em out.

Sven

"Florian Brucker" <tor### [at] torfboldcom> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi Sven!
>
> I haven't seen your scene or know anything about it, but it could be
> that two of Mike's excellent tutorials could help you with your bounding
> issues:
>
> Mike's isosurface tutorial:
> http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/
>
> Mike's holes tutorial:
> http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/holetut/index.htm
>

> HTH,
> Florian

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 28 Jan 2008 10:51:30
Message: <479dfa02$1@news.povray.org>

>> I tried with photons, and there were very long periods where the
>> "photons shot" counter didn't change, which could mean POV-Ray is
>> shooting lots of photons but "missing the object".
>
> Photon count went up until a minute of shooting passed, then it got
> stuck at 41294 photons shot. Been at that number for *20 minutes*.

12 hours later, 208446 photons shot.

Post a reply to this message

From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 28 Jan 2008 12:15:16
Message: <479e0da4@news.povray.org>
My PC came to around 32,000, before it crashed. Let's see...

Newsbeitrag news:479dfa02$1@news.povray.org...

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 28 Jan 2008 12:20:46
Message: <479e0eee$1@news.povray.org>
Sven Littkowski escribió:
> My PC came to around 32,000, before it crashed. Let's see...

I added autostop 0.0. It's supposed to improve speed. The manual says
"always use autostop unless it causes problems". I can't tell if it
"causes problems" until I see the final image :)

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 28 Jan 2008 16:04:27
Message: <479e435b@news.povray.org>

> 12 hours later, 208446 photons shot.

Elapsed: 17h 41m
Photons shot so far: 249561

I still see extremely long periods of the counter not moving.