POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : radiosity vs. double_illuminate Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:26:13 EDT (-0400)
  radiosity vs. double_illuminate (Message 23 to 32 of 42)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: radiosity vs. double_illuminate
Date: 11 Nov 2007 21:44:02
Message: <4737bdf1@news.povray.org>
nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> that's all fine and dandy.  What I'm asking for is how povray renders
> reflections in the absence of traceable light rays.

  You should perhaps acquaint yourself with the basics of raytracing.
There's an intro for example here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_tracing

  Backwards raytracing works by sending rays from the camera towards the
scene. When a ray hits a surface, its color is calculated (from various
parameters, such as the pigment, light sources, etc). If the surface is
reflective, a new ray is spawned from that point, which can hit other
surfaces.
  A surface doesn't need a light source in order to contribute color to
the ray.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message