POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : radiosity vs. double_illuminate Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:17:15 EDT (-0400)
  radiosity vs. double_illuminate (Message 13 to 22 of 42)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: radiosity vs. double_illuminate
Date: 11 Nov 2007 17:09:54
Message: <47377db2@news.povray.org>
nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> > You can always see an object with a high ambient value in a reflection without
> > any light.

> oh!  but that *is* a bug! :P

  Why?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 11 Nov 2007 17:15:00
Message: <web.47377e15c65e62dc47c4e9b20@news.povray.org>
Jan Dvorak <jan### [at] centrumcz> wrote:
> You were talkang about light sources. Ambient light has no source.

true.  But the point is:  a raytracer works by tracing light rays.  If there's
no light, there's no image.

I'm guessing that when povray sees at least ambient light enabled, it traces the
image by shooting light rays to get the basic image with the shadow areas
illuminated by constant color.  I may be wrong.  In any case, I don't think we
can get an image out of povray without tracing rays around.  Radiosity and
photons are addons to the basic raytracing rendering framework...

Post a reply to this message

> > > You can always see an object with a high ambient value in a reflection without
> > > any light.
>
> > oh!  but that *is* a bug! :P
>
>   Why?
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

because reflections without lights don't quite sound right...

Post a reply to this message

> because reflections without lights don't quite sound right...

  A "light source" in POV-Ray terms is a "light_source" definition.
Surfaces (and media) can have non-black coloring even without any
light_source definitions.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> > because reflections without lights don't quite sound right...
>
>   A "light source" in POV-Ray terms is a "light_source" definition.
> Surfaces (and media) can have non-black coloring even without any
> light_source definitions.

ok, and how do you explain the reflections?

Post a reply to this message

> > Surfaces (and media) can have non-black coloring even without any
> > light_source definitions.

> ok, and how do you explain the reflections?

  Well, if a surface has a non-black coloring even without light sources,
it's obviously going to reflect from reflective surfaces.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> > > Surfaces (and media) can have non-black coloring even without any
> > > light_source definitions.
>
> > ok, and how do you explain the reflections?
>
>   Well, if a surface has a non-black coloring even without light sources,
> it's obviously going to reflect from reflective surfaces.

come on, warp, you know that's not the answer I want.

How is povray rendering those reflections?

Post a reply to this message

>>> ok, and how do you explain the reflections?
>>   Well, if a surface has a non-black coloring even without light sources,
>> it's obviously going to reflect from reflective surfaces.
>
> come on, warp, you know that's not the answer I want.
>
> How is povray rendering those reflections?

If an object has a non-zero ambient, it doesn't need a lightsource to be
visible.

Post a reply to this message

> >>   Well, if a surface has a non-black coloring even without light sources,
> >> it's obviously going to reflect from reflective surfaces.
> >
> > come on, warp, you know that's not the answer I want.
> >
> > How is povray rendering those reflections?
> >

> If an object has a non-zero ambient, it doesn't need a lightsource to be
> visible.

that's all fine and dandy.  What I'm asking for is how povray renders
reflections in the absence of traceable light rays.

Post a reply to this message

> Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailisthebestcom> wrote:

>>> come on, warp, you know that's not the answer I want.
>>>
>>> How is povray rendering those reflections?
>>>
>> If an object has a non-zero ambient, it doesn't need a lightsource to be
>> visible.
>
> that's all fine and dandy.  What I'm asking for is how povray renders
> reflections in the absence of traceable light rays.

raytracers raytrace from the eye and when they hit a surface they split
or stop (or just turn around). This doesn't need any light_sources to work.