POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : radiosity vs. double_illuminate : Re: radiosity vs. double_illuminate Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:25:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: radiosity vs. double_illuminate
From: nemesis
Date: 11 Nov 2007 17:15:00
Message: <web.47377e15c65e62dc47c4e9b20@news.povray.org>
Jan Dvorak <jan### [at] centrumcz> wrote:
> You were talkang about light sources. Ambient light has no source.

true.  But the point is:  a raytracer works by tracing light rays.  If there's
no light, there's no image.

I'm guessing that when povray sees at least ambient light enabled, it traces the
image by shooting light rays to get the basic image with the shadow areas
illuminated by constant color.  I may be wrong.  In any case, I don't think we
can get an image out of povray without tracing rays around.  Radiosity and
photons are addons to the basic raytracing rendering framework...