POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Checkered Sphere Server Time
14 May 2024 01:39:14 EDT (-0400)
  Checkered Sphere (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Matthias Püski
Subject: Checkered Sphere
Date: 24 Sep 2007 11:49:04
Message: <46f7dc70$1@news.povray.org>
Hi everybody,

since everybody knows how to render a reflective sphere on a checkered
floor, I wonder how to make a checkered sphere. Since map_type 1 only
works only with pigment or texture maps, how do I map the checkered
pattern correctly onto a sphere?

Maybe someone could be so kind and explain it?

GreetZ
Matthias

Post a reply to this message

> since everybody knows how to render a reflective sphere on a checkered
> floor, I wonder how to make a checkered sphere. Since map_type 1 only
> works only with pigment or texture maps, how do I map the checkered
> pattern correctly onto a sphere?
>
> Maybe someone could be so kind and explain it?
>
> GreetZ
> Matthias
You have to decide what is 'correct'  You mean like latitude nad longitude?

Try this in the docs:
3.5.12.6.5  Mapping using warps

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Attwood
Date: 25 Sep 2007 04:45:50
Message: <46f8cabe$1@news.povray.org>
> since everybody knows how to render a reflective sphere on a checkered
> floor, I wonder how to make a checkered sphere. Since map_type 1 only
> works only with pigment or texture maps, how do I map the checkered
> pattern correctly onto a sphere?
>
> Maybe someone could be so kind and explain it?

It's not perfect at the poles, but this is the basic way of doing it.

sphere {0,1 pigment{uv_mapping checker White Blue scale 0.05}}

Not every object type supports uv_mapping, but it's handy when they do.