POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The new max trace level behavior in pov3.7 beta 22 Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:29:12 EDT (-0400)
  The new max trace level behavior in pov3.7 beta 22 (Message 11 to 15 of 15)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: The new max trace level behavior in pov3.7 beta 22
Date: 4 Sep 2007 03:28:28
Message: <46dd091c@news.povray.org>
Rune <new### [at] runevisioncom> wrote:
> Will there be a new keyword for specifying the max desired number of
> transparent surfaces passed through (default=infinite)? If not, how can it
> be avoided that scenes that rendered fast before (with acceptable artifacts)
> will render extremely slow with the new behavior?

  You think it's necessary? Any suggestions?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Rune
Date: 4 Sep 2007 07:32:55
Message: <46dd4267@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Rune <new### [at] runevisioncom> wrote:
>> Will there be a new keyword for specifying the max desired number of
>> transparent surfaces passed through (default=infinite)? If not, how
>> can it be avoided that scenes that rendered fast before (with
>> acceptable artifacts) will render extremely slow with the new
>> behavior?
>
>  You think it's necessary?

I don't have particular scenes in mind, but the need for it is just as real
as a ned for an adjustable max_trace_level. If it was just a matter of
avoiding infinite trace loops, a fixed max_trace_level of, say 255, with no
option of setting it lower, would be fine. But it's not just about that, and
this is no different if the ray goes straight through or bended.

> Any suggestions?

I don't know. max_passthrough_level ?

Rune
--
http://runevision.com

Post a reply to this message

> I don't have particular scenes in mind, but the need for it is just as real
> as a ned for an adjustable max_trace_level. If it was just a matter of
> avoiding infinite trace loops, a fixed max_trace_level of, say 255, with no
> option of setting it lower, would be fine. But it's not just about that, and
> this is no different if the ray goes straight through or bended.

  If the trace level was not limited then reflecting/refracting objects
could cause an infinite loop. That's the main reason why the trace level
is limited.
  However, objects which do not reflect nor refract cannot cause an infinite
loop.

  But perhaps it might be a good idea to be able to limit the number of
transparent objects traced, if needed...

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message