POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Text to paths Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:21:19 EDT (-0400)
  Text to paths (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Shark
Subject: Text to paths
Date: 4 Jun 2007 21:10:01
Message: <web.4664b72450d4c3d6ae81e560@news.povray.org>
Is there a way to make text follow a path? Are there any include files
available that will allow me to do this?

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Attwood
Subject: Re: Text to paths
Date: 4 Jun 2007 21:55:07
Message: <4664c27b@news.povray.org>
> Is there a way to make text follow a path? Are there any include files
> available that will allow me to do this?

You can redirect any or all of the message streams to a file.
(3.1.2.7.3  Directing Text Streams to Files)

For example putting +GAfilename.txt in the command line will
echo all the messages to filename.txt.

Or you could put All_File=filename.txt in your ini file.

Post a reply to this message

>> Is there a way to make text follow a path? Are there any include files
>> available that will allow me to do this?
>
> You can redirect any or all of the message streams to a file.
> (3.1.2.7.3  Directing Text Streams to Files)
>
> For example putting +GAfilename.txt in the command line will
> echo all the messages to filename.txt.
>
> Or you could put All_File=filename.txt in your ini file.

Not exactly what he was asking...  But I'm interested as well in
something like this.  May have to look into this idea more in the near
future.

-ds

Post a reply to this message

> >> Is there a way to make text follow a path? Are there any include files
> >> available that will allow me to do this?
> >
> > You can redirect any or all of the message streams to a file.
> > (3.1.2.7.3  Directing Text Streams to Files)
> >
> > For example putting +GAfilename.txt in the command line will
> > echo all the messages to filename.txt.
> >
> > Or you could put All_File=filename.txt in your ini file.
> >

> Not exactly what he was asking...  But I'm interested as well in
> something like this.  May have to look into this idea more in the near
> future.

Well, I think you can do a trace on a spline and use the normal for it
to "place" the text, but that isn't *quite* the same thing. A true text
+ path system, like used in Photoshop, uses the spline path to "change"
the font's own splines, so that its stretched and warped to fit the
path. Mind you, some times that isn't what you want, but sometimes it
is, and there is no direct way to do that in POVRay, as far as I know.
And I am just guessing, based on a lot of other, "How do I place objects
at specific/random places on a surface?", type threads.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else
    call crash_windows();
}

From: Chris B
Date: 5 Jun 2007 03:10:27
Message: <46650c63$1@news.povray.org>
"Shark" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
> Is there a way to make text follow a path? Are there any include files
> available that will allow me to do this?

Hi Tim,

Yes. The transforms.inc file contains the Spline_Trans function.

You can define a path through space by declaring a spline (see 'spline' in
the help).
You can reposition an object such as a piece of text on a spline using
Spline_Trans from the standard include file 'transforms.inc'.
This also allows you to reorient the object to the direction of the spline
at that point.

If you have a piece of text assigned to a string variable you can loop
through using a #while loop to pick out one letter at a time using the
strlen function to control the loop and the substr function to pick out
successive letters. Then generate a text object for that character and
reposition and reorient using Spline_Trans..

Hope that helps,

Regards,
Chris B

Post a reply to this message

From: Penelope20k
Date: 5 Jun 2007 04:04:12
Message: <466518fc$1@news.povray.org>
// --------------------------
//      Basic_path
 // --------------------------

#declare Main_Path="d:\\Travail\\New_POV\\";
#declare Library_Path=concat(Main_Path,"Library\\");
#declare Texture_Path= concat(Main_Path,"Texture\\");

// -----------------------------
//     Include FILES global
// -----------------------------
// Setting DEFAULT Library PATHS :
// Library_DSI , Library_DSI_ELEM
// Light_Library

#include concat(Library_Path,"globalset.inc")

#include concat(Library_Path,"couleurs.inc")
#include "colors.inc"
#include "metals.inc"

From: SharkD
Date: 9 Jun 2007 06:30:02
Message: <web.466a80502db0ec2985c40800@news.povray.org>
Thank you for the reply. I will give that a try.